Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This Dorothy Florence is the child of Archibald Stanley Douglas and Alice Foreman. She is mentioned on the WW1 service records for her father. She married Clement S Smith in 1936 and died 21 May 1988 as Dorothy Florence Smith so who is the Dorothy F who married frank Baker?

Christina
    I know for a fact that my nan's Dolly married a Frank Baker, so this Dorothy is her.. but I can't find any birth records that match.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you! I'll have a look through these!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I can't find any of the family in the 1939 Register which is most strange and frustrating. However if you do an address search you can find all the different households in Miranda Road, Islington, so it might well be worth going through each one to see if you can find them.

I did, I think, manage to find a bit about Pearl. Assuming I have got the right lady I have found 4 marriages for her. I haven't found a death for her and therefore it's possible that she or one or more of her husbands are living,and so I won't mention their names as that would breach the rules of this forum. However I can give you the years and locations:

1953 Hertford
    1969 Hertford
    1972 Sutton Coldfield
    1976 Birmingham

Each subsequent marriage was done using the surname of her previous husband, but she is always listed as Pearl L, and she seems to be the only one with that middle initial.
    this is interesting! I'll have to ask my mum if she knows anything about this.. according to my nan Pearl became a nun, haha!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Perhaps your grandparents "adopted" a child. Official legal adoptions did not come into being until 1928? Before then everything was unofficial and there were no hard and fast rules and children's names may or may not have changed. I had a great uncle and aunt who were separately adopted one's name was changed and the other's wasn't, but on both their marriage certificates they name their natural father.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Perhaps your grandparents "adopted" a child. Official legal adoptions did not come into being until 1928? Before then everything was unofficial and there were no hard and fast rules and children's names may or may not have changed. I had a great uncle and aunt who were separately adopted one's name was changed and the other's wasn't, but on both their marriage certificates they name their natural father.
    Yes I wonder if this was the case. Very possible, I suppose until I order the marriage certs I won't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12