Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default J.LYONS AND CO-THE SALMON,GLUCKSTEIN FAMILIES

This new thread relates to the very recent publication of a new book which describes the development of the famous J Lyons Company with particular reference to the Salmon, Gluckstein and related families who played a major role in the development of the company.
    The publication is written by a descendant of the lines and The Jewish Chronicle 27 August 2019 contained an overview of the publication. The book is-Legacy. One family,a cup of tea, and the the company that took on the world. Thomas Harding.William Heinemann 2019 (publication date 29 August 2019).

My interest in the Salmon, Gluckstein and related families is through the marriage of Hannah Rachel Moses 1861-1942 to Philip Alexamder Solomon Phillips. Their daughter Edna Cecily Phillips married Samuel Gluckstein Joseph 1888-1944. Their son was Keith Sinjohn Joseph 1918-1994.
    The Hannah Moses line relates to her parents Sylvester Moses=Hannah Isaacs. The parents of Sylvester Moses were Henry Moses and Rosa Hart. Rosa Hart was the daughter of Benjamin Hart my 4x great grandfather.

There are previous threads relating to the J Lyons and Co families including Samuel Nathan -Re Visited 24.11.2007 with specific reference to #21,48,50,61- Lyons Corner House etc.
    In addition, I wrote about Nigella Lawson's relationship to the Salmon and other lines -thread Moses Families 23.01.2013 #4 and 5. In the Nigella Lawson posts reference was made to her maternal line and her relationship to Coenraad Saames aka Coleman Joseph from Amsterdam.

There were last name changes among some of the families. Further reference on the Gluckstein,Salmon, Joseph,Phillips lines as they relate to my Moses/Hart can be seen in the two World Connect Rootsweb family trees by my distant cousins with specific reference to Sylvester Moses=Hannah Isaacs and their daughter Hannah Rachel Moses 1866-1942.

I have yet to buy and read Thomas Harding book but for other researchers including my distant cousins the history of the lines may provide new data on the families.

Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

I'm the one who wrote the Samuel Nathan thread. One of his grandchildren, Leah Nathan, daughter of John, married Samuel Lyons who descends from Joseph. Samuel and Leah had eight children one of whom rejoiced in the name of Psyche. I haven't reached this family in my quest for more detail yet but I do remember my aunt telling us that whenever she went to London she went to a particular Corner House because Leah would be there every afternoon, holding court.
    I will have to get that book
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Having bought a copy of the Thomas Harding book researchers of the Gluckstein and Salmon family lines might be interested in some of the historical records contained in the book relating to the lines. There are several family trees in the book and reference to a diary entry by Lehamann Meyer Gluckstein to his birth and parents- "The day of my birth 17 July 1794.Born in Jever(in the Duchy of Oldenburg, near Bremen)Lehmann Meyer Gluckstein son of Meyer Lehmann Gluckstein and Adele Joseph". His father Lehmann Gluckstein born 1787-1824 from Jever and a teacher. Lehmann Meyer Gluckstein married Helena Horn 21 August 1819 in Rheinberg.

The book is an important resource for descendants of the lines describing a wide variety of family history and relationships.
    Phillip

Super Moderator

Are you related to the person who featured in this week-ends Observer?

Thank you for your last message.I have not read the weekend observer. Could you please post the name of the individual referred to in the newspaper?
    Please see post one which identifies my relationship to the Gluckstein / Salmon/ Joseph lines.

Starting to feel at home

You say there are historical records for the Salmon family, but Barnett Salmon was born Barnett Solomon, to Aaron Solomon and his first wife Jane (Gita) Simmons. Is there any background information on the Solomon family, particularly Aaron and his parents Asher and Rebecca? Nothing was mentioned about them in the WDYTYA? programme featuring Nigella Lawson. Aaron Solomon and his second wife Sarah Cohen are ancestors of my husband.

Deeny

Super Moderator

Phillip

The article in the Observer is headed "My family founded the vast J. Lyons empire. But would tracing its history be my cup of tea?" It is written by Thomas Harding, there is also a photograph of him, who I see now wrote the book that has been discussed here. This article seems to concentrate on where Thomas obtained his family history information. I am not sure if it is possible to see the article on line (it was in the Observer magazine 8 September 2019) I am happy to send it to you if you want it.

Sue

Deeny and Sue,
    In his book Thomas Harding does not include in-depth details of the Joseph, Samuel and other associated lines. His main focus is on the Gluckstein/ Salmon lines and their role in the development of the Lyons company.
    He gives a small reference to Aaron Salmon, Barnett's father who was placed in a workhouse and described as 'lunatic and incurable'. Barnett's mother, Jane had died in childbirth. No reference is made to the earlier Salmon/ Solomon lines.
    Thomas Harding's focus is on his mothers side and he wrote " Lehmann Meyer Gluckstein 1787-1859. My Grandfather's, grandfather's grandfather."
    Sir Keith Joseph was Samuel and Anne Gluckstein's great Grandson.
    Nigel Lawson married Alfred Salmon's granddaughter Vanessa.
    My Hart/ Moses connection is to the Phillips/ Joseph/ Samuel lines through marriages.
    Sue- Thank you for your kind offer to send me the Observer article, which I would appreciate.

Super Moderator

If you want to send a PM with your address, I'll send the article.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Phillip,

It doesn't sound as if there is much of interest to people following the Solomon family further back, so I won't rush out to buy a copy.

Aaron Solomon died 6th December 1877, aged 89. I wonder if "lunatic and incurable" indicates dementia? A tree on Jewish Gen gives his place of death as 23 Calvert Street, Shoreditch, which I had thought was probably his home address, but if it was the workhouse it doesn't say much for wealthy Barnett Salmon that he allowed his father to die there.

Deeny
    Last edited by Deeny; 11-09-2019 at 2:17 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast