Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Deeny,
    Thomas Harding , in his book, wrote regarding Barnett Salmon,
    "When Barnet was just eight months old, his father left him on the doorstep of the Chevra Jewish Orphanage in East London and entered an asylum. Two years later Aaron was discharged and was living in a workhouse but given his record of 'lunatic' and 'incurable' he was unable to care for his son.
    According to Barnett Salmon's wedding certificate his father was a 'dealer' and his last name was SOLOMON.
    The 1841 census recorded his father as a 'clothes dealer'."
    Currently I cannot do research on the lines until my home computer is repaired. Once this is resolved I will post more data and records on the lines.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Starting to feel at home

Philip,

By 1834 Aaron was remarried to Sarah Cohen(so not completely lunatic and incurable) and went on to have 5 more children. In later census returns he was named as Aaron Sloman. His daughter Rebecca was married under that surname in 1858. I shall be interested to see what other information you have on these lines.

Deeny

Deeny
    This post is a follow up to your previous post regarding data on the various lines with particular reference to the Solomons aka Salmon aka Slowman and the Simmons.This is a work in progress and any data you can provide would be welcome. My own interest in the lines originates from an outline family tree that my cousin Patrick Coppel( we relate through our mutual Crawcour lines). Pat sent me the outline in October 2006 when we were researching the Crawcour and related lines.
    In addition, through my most recent research on my Simmonds/Jacobs lines who married into the Abrahams I noted that one line of Abrahams had married into the Barnett Salmon aka Solomons family through Frances Abrahams to Alfred Salmon in 1894 and the Abraham Abrahams relationship to the Gluckstein and Salmon through marriages.

Pat in his tree recorded Barnett Simmons -1828=Sarah Hyams (married 1797)-Synagogue Scribes GSM038/1 20 August 1797 Barnet SIMMONS (Hebrew name Issaacher father's Hebrew name Simon Kratzwascher (tin man)
    Sarah HART (Hebrew name Sarle) WIDOW of Yehuda Portsmouth -father's Hebrew name Moshe Black Boy
    Nb I do not know how Pat identified Sarah as maiden name Hyams and further research is needed.
    The line continued with Jane Barnett SIMMONS -1829 marriage to Aaron Asher SOLOMONS aka Slowman -Synagogue Scribes HSM 139
    Jane SIMMONS (Gita) father's Hebrew name Issacher Behr(Mr) August 29,1827
    Aaron SOLOMONS Bookers Gardens Leadenhall Street father's Hebrew name Asher b Nathan
    The line continued through Barnet Solomons aka SALMON=Helena Gluckstein

Pat's own family connection to the Simmons/Abrahams as is mine through my Crawour relative is via Rachel Sarah SIMMONS 1791-1854 sibling of Jane who married Godfrey ABRAHAMS aka Abraham 1790-1864 Synagogue Scribes BSNSK 042 March 3 1824 Godfrey ABRAHAMS Hebrew name Eliyakum Goetslik father's Hebrew name Hayim Z'eev
    Reizecha family name not recorded father's Hebrew name Issachar

Sydney Abraham 1831-1894 son of Godfrey married Rebecca CRAWCOUR 1844-1901 in Australia in 1860. This line relates specifically to Pat though his Abraham/Coppel lines.

I will post a lot more on the lines.

For clarification, is Sarah SLOMAN who appears in the 1861-1871 Census at 39 Leicester Square Charing Cross and 11 Love Court Whitechapel the wife of Aaron Solomons aka Sloman?

I can't seem to locate Aaron in census and know he died Dec qtr 1877 age 89 Shoreditch 1c 60

The following data is a follow to #13 of this thread and relevance depends on confirmation regarding Aaron Solomons aka Sloman and his wife Sarah and their children. The Jewish Chronicle has the following data - Mr Abraham SLOMON Butcher 45 Middlesex Street Algate thanks for condlences for his late lamented mother 26.2.1875.
    Death-SARAH SLOWMAN 13.2.1875 at her residence 11 Love Court Middlesex Stret after a short illness mother of Mr A SLOWMAN butcher of 45 Middlesex Street Aldagte - Annie SLOMON daughter in law.
    Death -Abraham SLOMON 31.10.1878 at 45 Middlesex Street Aldgate aged 29 years.
    see Probate Abraham SLOMON late of 45 Middlesex Street Aldagte City of London who died 1 Nov 1878 Proved by Annie SLOMON 45 Middlesex Street widow and relict sole executrix Effects under £800.

Confirmation is required to confirm the relationships to Aaron Solomons aka Sloman.

Starting to feel at home

Philip,

Sarah Cohen and Aaron Solomon / Sloman had five children, Rebecca, Sophia, Harriet, Asher and Moses, born between 1835 and 1845, of which Harriet and Asher died very young. They had no son called Abraham, so the Jewish Chronicle data relates to an entirely different family. I don't have a date of death for Sarah, but she is thought to have died before 1871.

Deeny

Deeny
    For clarification would you mind posting census data on the Cohen/Solomon aka Sloman lines. As you know from my numerous other postings on this forum I have access to the Jewish Chronicle and other sources.Do you have an Ancestry.Co Public family tree?
    When Sarah died what surname spelling was she using?

Based on references in earlier posts this is the marriage of Abraham Solomons to Sarah Cohen-Synagogue Scribes HSM 205 Abraham SOLOMONS Bookers Gardens Leadenhall St father's Hebrew name Asher b Nathan-Sarah COHEN father's Hebrew name Moshe Cohen Mr

1841 Census(Copyright TNA) HO107 710 11 20 15 22 9
    Bell Lane
    Aaron SOLOMON 50 clothes dealer born in county
    Sarah Solomon 30 b in county
    Barnett 12
    Rebecca 9
    Sophia 7
    Harriet 1
    Asher 1
    All born in county

1851 (Crown Copyright TNA)
    19 Ratcliffe Highway
    Aaron SALOMONS H M Clothes dealer b St Catherine Cree
    Sarah wife 45 Clothes dealer b Whitechapel
    Moses son 6 b Bishopsgate
    Sophia dau 17 Dealer in clothes b Shoreditch
    Rebecca 18 dau Dealer in clothes b Ratcliffe Highway

Nb This current census data is based on 1 Ancestry Public tree and further verification is needed that they are the right lines.
    When Barnett Salmon's mother died he was 'Left as an orphan at the age of eight months he was received and educated into the Jews Orphan Asylum and is now amalgamated with the Jews Hospital at Norwood. Upon leaving that institution he was apprenticed to a cigar manufacturer' JC Feb 19 1897 (part of his obituary).

Barnett Salmon probate - the will summary recorded bequests to his granchildren Barnett Salmon Abrahams,Abraham Adrian Abrahams,Barnett Alfred Salmon- £200 each;plus further bequests to his wife, his son Alfred,his brother in laws Isidore,Joseph, Montagu Gluckstein,Samuel Joseph

In #8 reference was made to the Thomas Harding book in which he described the father of Barnett Solomons aka Salmon as being a lunatic and incurable. The London Workhouse records show various records for a Aaron Solomons aka Solomon with dob 1806-1809 admitted to the Christchurch Workhouse Southwark and noted as insane and incurable- Aaron Solomons b 1806 single lunatic discharged from Bethlem Hospital as incurable-Jew- father paying relief;Aaron Solomon b 1809 returned from lunatic asylum; Aron Soloman b 1808 Jew Hawker insane
    The records cover a period from circa 1836-39.

Whether or not these records relate specifically to Aaron Solomons aka Solomon aka Sloman father of Barnett Salmon requires further research and confirmation.

Starting to feel at home

Philip,

The above census return, which I believe to be for the Aaron Solomon / Sloman related to my husband, suggests that Aaron Solomon was born about 1791/2, which doesn't fit with a date of birth of 1806 -1809. Between 1836 and 1839 it can be seen that the Aaron in the census return was producing children with his wife so the person who was in the lunatic asylum was somebody else entirely.

A tree on JewishGen (possibly no longer available) gave Aaron's date of death as 6th December 1877, at 23
    Calvert Street, Shoreditch. GRO records give this Aaron Sloman's age as 89, making his date of birth around 1788.

Deeny

Thomas Harding in his book refers to Aaron leaving Barnett age 8 months on the steps of the Chevra Jewish orphanage and entering an asylum. Two years later Aaron was discharged and was living in a workhouse 'but given his record 'lunatic' and 'incurable' was unable to look after his son.
    This suggests that Aaron was placed in a lunatic asylum in 1829/30 and discharged circa 1830-32 and then in a workhouse.

I am aware of Aaron's dob and have looked at the London Poor House records hence the previous post. Currently, I can see no record for an Aaron Solomons or derivations of the surname other than those posted in the workhouse records and nothing so far for circa 1830-1832.

Did you know he was in a lunatic asylum and workhouse according to Harding. Someone in the Salmon/Gluckstein lines must have told Harding about this. I take the term'incurable lunatic' with great caution bearing in mind Aaron had seen his wife die leaving a baby. This must have been a great tragedy and it appears no one in his immediate family/in laws could take Barnett in their household.

What records do you and your husband hold on Aaron/Sarah and the other children such as birth,marriage,death etc? Barnett is living with Aaron and Sarah in 1841 so they must have had some relationship. Do you know where Aaron was post 1851-61? I can't locate him.
    Is this the GRO Death Certificate for Sarah-Dec qtr 1854 Sarah SLOMAN Marylebone 1a 352?

Do you know where Barnett was living post 1841 until his marriage to Lena in 1863?

I would welcome any reference to records to data you hold on the lines if you have them. Are you aware if Barnett had any contacts with his half siblings?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast