Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thank you I hadn't come across those two National Archives recores. Dutly added to what I know about him.

Default The Will

You must have a lot of experience reading that type of script. We have been really struggling with it. For what it's worth This is the will.

oh it didnt work. must have done something wrong.

No.. I don't think it was him.. There was an uncle with the same name around at that time . I'm pretty sure my Nathaniel was in the Navy at the time..

Nathaniel married Mary White in Lambeth - a stone's throw from Walworth.

Nathaniel was dismissed the "... Daphne, Captain Pipon, ..." Friday 23 March 1810 (Hampshire Chronicle, 26 Mar 1810). His eldest son Henry Mangles may have been a member of the crew -
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Nava..._Henry_Mangles
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The 1818 will mentions James Amos Denham " ... age 5 on 7/8 last April ..."

FMP Baptisms (transcription)
    James Amos Denham, bap. 4 July 1813, place St. Dunstan in the West, Father Nathaniel, Captain, mother Mary, residence West Harding Street

A Register of Ships employed in the Service of the East India Company 1707-1800
    Published London 1800

Ship's Name - London, 836 tons, 7 voyage
    Bombay and Bengal
    (Robert Wigram Esq)
    1. John Clarke 2. Robert Youl 3. Nathaniel Hoskins 4. Nathaniel Denham
    Sur. Thomas Donne Pur. William Neve
    Sailed Ports. 24 Mar 1798
    Moorings 31 July 1799

The Calcutta Gazette, Thursday 13 Sep 1798 reported "Thursday last ... the London, Captain Lukin, arrived in the river from Europe, Bombay ..."

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Nathaniel married Mary White in Lambeth - a stone's throw from Walworth.

Nathaniel was dismissed the "... Daphne, Captain Pipon, ..." Friday 23 March 1810 (Hampshire Chronicle, 26 Mar 1810). His eldest son Henry Mangles may have been a member of the crew -
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Nava..._Henry_Mangles
    Thank you.. That makes complete sense. I can't seem to find a formal Naval record for Nathaniel. Can you point me in the right direction? None of the databases I've searched have yielded results.

By the way in his will Nathaniel mentions Captain Martin White with whom his son served. Had me wondering if Captain White was Nathaniel's brother in law. Common name I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunniefromoz View Post

By the way in his will Nathaniel mentions Captain Martin White with whom his son served.
    Spotted that and wondered the same?

Re. Nathaniel in the Navy, cannot spot any reference to his being recruited. This was a time of war and wonder whether he moved in "seamlessly" as "Master"?. What was the position of a "Master" aboard a British Navy vessel as opposed to the Captain? - just speculation

Default Rank of Master an officer? Not that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Spotted that and wondered the same?

Re. Nathaniel in the Navy, cannot spot any reference to his being recruited. This was a time of war and wonder whether he moved in "seamlessly" as "Master"?. What was the position of a "Master" aboard a British Navy vessel as opposed to the Captain? - just speculation
    I never considered he’d be recruited directly into the navy. As ever with this man nothing is straightforward. A Master was an officer...... sort of..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_(naval)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast