Famous for offering help & advice

Default TAYLOR, Frank or MARNEY, John R b c1881 Lancs

This man enlisted with the Yorks & Lancs in April 1899 declaring name JOHN ROBERT MARLEY, age 19y 5m, born HAYWOOD, LANCS. He "deserted" in July.

On 1 August of the same year he enlisted with the RFA declaring name FRANK TAYLOR, age 18y 6m, born BURY, LANCS.

On 22 August he was charged with fraudulent enlistment and returned (as MARLEY)to the Yorks & Lancs.
    He finally deserted in the December.

There is no JP's declaration of the correct name.
    I cannot find a suitable birth for MARLEY, but there are several possibilities for TAYLOR. Perhaps his descendants (or a clever BG sleuth?) can solve the riddle?

NB: For those interested in early military documents, there is a complete copy of "The Small Book" in this Record (78174-78185)

Anc****y, WW1 Service Records, MAR, pages 78132-78190

Hi
    Did your typing fingers go rogue and type Marley instead of Marney as you have in the title. The surname is Marney in the three documents I can see on ancestry.
    There is a John Marney age 20 born Manchester, in the 1901 census at Tournay Barracks Farnborough Hampshire.
    I'll follow him and see where he goes.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is a John Marney 33 marrying in 1914 to an Agnes Wall 24, Paris Church St Catherine's (Prestwich reg dist), father Martin Marney deceased. John's occupation is soldier.
    A Martin Marney was buried 11 June 1887 according to deceased online.

Then there is a John Robert Taylor birth reg Rochdale (which includes Haywood) Sept 1/4 1880 vol 8e page 51 mmn Howe
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Did your typing fingers go rogue and type Marley instead of Marney as you have in the title. The surname is Marney in the three documents I can see on ancestry.
    Christina
    OOPS, Sorry!
    I keep doing this - Marley for Marney ... it's Dickens' fault! I helped grand-daughter with "A Christmas Carol" for her GCSE - Jacob Marley and all those chains.

Thanks for the info, Christina
    Jane