Thread: An Engineer

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default An Engineer

My husband is an engineer by training and by nature. His qualification is as an electronics engineer.

Researching his family history I can find his ancestors noted in the early 1900s and mid 1850s as 'engineers'. Any idea what an 'engineer' would have done in those days?

Reputation beyond repute

Almost anything connected with engines or machinery

See OED

Originally: a person who designs or builds engines or other machinery. Subsequently more generally: a person who uses specialized knowledge or skills to design, build, and maintain complicated equipment, systems, processes, etc.; an expert in or student of engineering. Frequently with distinguishing word.
    and
    ...the term may be applied to a person who operates and repairs equipment as well as to one responsible for its design and management.

also from the 1921 Dictionary of Occupational Terms -

engineer 040.—Owners, Agents, Managers (III. Mining and Quarrying)
    engineer 050.—Owners, Agents, Managers (III. Mining and Quarrying)
    engineer 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer 690.—Managers (XXI. Gas, Water, Electricity)
    engineer 690.—Managers (XXI. Gas, Water, Electricity)
    engineer 691.—Charge and Shift Engineers (XXI. Gas, Water, Electricity)
    engineer 734.—Engineering Officers (XXII. Transport and Communication)
    engineer 950.—Stationary Engine and Crane Drivers (XXX. Stationary Engine Drivers, Etc.)
    engineer (acetylene gas plant) 950.—Stationary Engine and Crane Drivers (XXX. Stationary Engine Drivers, Etc.)
    engineer (aerated water factory) 458.—Other Skilled Workers (XIV. Foods, Drinks, Tobacco)
    engineer (engine attendant) 950.—Stationary Engine and Crane Drivers (XXX. Stationary Engine Drivers, Etc.)
    engineer (Scotland>) 040.—Owners, Agents, Managers (III. Mining and Quarrying)
    engineer superintendent (aviation) 750.—Employers and Managers (XXII. Transport and Communication)
    engineer's boy 737.—Pursers, Stewards, and Domestic Staff (XXII. Transport and Communication)
    engineer's draughtsman 932.—Draughtsmen (XXVIII. Clerks and Draughtsmen)
    engineer's labourer 246.—Mechanical Engineers�, Engineers� and Mechanics� Labourers (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer's photo printer 548.—Other Skilled Workers (XVI. Paper, Printers, etc.)
    engineer's photo printer 548.—Other Skilled Workers (XVI. Paper, Printers, etc.)
    engineer's photographic paper maker 688.—Other Skilled Workers (XX. Mixed or Undefined Materials)
    engineer, butcher's 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, chief 734.—Engineering Officers (XXII. Transport and Communication)
    engineer, constructional 226.—Constructional Engineers (not Professional), Steel Erectors, Structural Ironworkers (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, domestic machinery 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, heating 240.—Heating and Ventilating Engineers (So Returned) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, hull 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, iron roofing 226.—Constructional Engineers (not Professional), Steel Erectors, Structural Ironworkers (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, laundry 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, marine (in engineering works) 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, pump 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, shafting 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, stoker 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, Trinity House 244.—Mechanical Engineers; Engineers (not Engine Drivers) (VII. Metal Work)
    engineer, ventilating 240.—Heating and Ventilating Engineers (So Returned) (VII. Metal Work)

Quite a broad choice then! Thank you.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

If we are talking about the late 19th century, which I gather we are, and are referring to the census, then I think the first part of the definition from the OED is likely to be more relevant. I do not think the average repairer and maintainer of machinery would THEN have been described as an engineer. Thus, from the 1901 list, many, such as engine and crane drivers, and quite a high proportion of that list would not earlier have been so described in the census.

Interesting. Further digging/research and the engineer in the late 1890s/early 1900s seems to have been involved with printing (lythographic) as an engineer but his father is once noted as an engineer, then an overseer in a cotton mill which, I'm guessing, would have involved some supervision of the machinery.

Reputation beyond repute

The 1881 census transcription if free of charge (or should be). You may find it interesting to search on the term "engineer" only.

I spotted several civil engineers, marine engineers (a well documented occupation - on board - operation, maintenance, repair) and engineers as drivers of stationery engines.

Talking of stationery engines I don't think British usage extended to 'engineer' as the driver of a locomotive, unlike North American usage (I believe).

Engineer seems to be a very broad term - then and now. My husband will be very pleased to know he descends from along line of them.