Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    falconer

Default Bradford Brick Wall...

Hi All,

Here is a copy of my original post from 2011. Still searching and wonder if anyone can help?

I wonder, as you are probably all hardened, experienced family history hunters, if I might ask for some advice?

It concerns my BRADFORD family history and is a mystery I have been trying to solve for many years.

My father John William BRADFORD was born in Bedford in 1916. He had two older sisters, Evelyn May BRADFORD (b1914) and Florence Cecelia BRADFORD (b1915) Although the children are born closely together in consecative years, I have found by checking the birth certificates that it is feasibly possible.

I have copies of birth certificates for them all and all show John Bradford as the father.

There are really two mysteries -

1) Whilst on Evelyn's birth certificate (The eldest child) and my fathers birth certificate (The youngest child) The mother Margaret BRADFORD states her maiden name as GREEN, on Florence's birth certificate (The middle child) she gives her maiden name as DAY. I have found no marriage for BRADFORD/DAY or BRADFORD/GREEN.

2) In 1918 all the children are sent to a childrens home in Kempston, Beds. (The entry book for the date they arrive states "Deserted by mother) They never have any further contact with their parents and no-one knows what becomes of them.

I only have 3 official records of John BRADFORD the father.

He appears on all three birth certificates (As horse keeper, Carman, and Waggoner)

He appears on the 1912 electoral roll for Bedford together with his 'wife' Margaret residing in Bell Court, St. John's, Bedford.

He appears on the Bedford Union Relief records on 26th September 1916 as being given two shilling and sixpence. On this record he gives his age as 60. On a similar record in 1914 when Margaret is discharged from the workhouse with her new born child Evelyn, Margaret gives her age as 35. (Quite an age gap for a married couple?)

After 1916 I can find no record of either of them. I do have a few death records in later years but no way of connecting them to my family.

It has been suggested (Because of the age difference) that the john Bradford aged 60 may not in fact be the father, but the father in law, but I have no evedence to support this.

I just wondered if some kind soul amongst you may be able to suggest any further avenues to explore? I should add that DNA has provided more questions than answers!

Thenking you in anticipation but will perfectly understand if you cannot help.

Famous for offering help & advice

you say, regarding the three children, "no-one knows what becomes of them". I'm not sure if you mean that literally, or just what becomes of them as children.

For example it looks like Florence Cecilia Bradford marries Robert E H Groves in Bedford in 1935. But then re-marries in Fulham, 1951, to Charles V Bateman.

falconer

Sorry I was not clear. No-one knows what becomes of the parents John & Margaret. I have a good knowledge of the children.....

Quote Originally Posted by falconer View Post
    Sorry I was not clear. No-one knows what becomes of the parents John & Margaret. I have a good knowledge of the children.....
    thanks. I had a feeling I misread that !

Here is a copy of my original post from 2011
    For anyone trying to help Falconer with his query, this is the earlier thread of 2011 which Falconer refers to.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...FORD-Brickwall
    Alma

in the last post of your previous thread you mention the death of Maggie Day in 1979 - date of birth 19 April 1882. I'm sure by now you would have seen her on the 1939 register at Chesterton, Cambridgeshire as wife of Russell J Day - snd therefore discounted her ?

clutching at straws - a Minnie Bradford died Chesterton, Cambridgeshire 1929 aged 49 (1880) but I don't think Minnie is usually a diminuitive of Margaret (or Harriet for that matter).

Another straw -
    In the 1911 Census there's a 20-year old MAGGIE BRADFORD, daughter of the landlord of the Golden Ball, St Neots.
    It might be worth seeing if you can trace her in later years?

(I'm working on the theory that the only positive relationship you have is the mother ...)

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by fullscott View Post
    Another straw -
    In the 1911 Census there's a 20-year old MAGGIE BRADFORD, daughter of the landlord of the Golden Ball, St Neots.
    It might be worth seeing if you can trace her in later years?

(I'm working on the theory that the only positive relationship you have is the mother ...)
    That Maggie married Herbert HEAD in 1915, and her mother's 1945 obit confirms her identity.

Dundee10

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-Advice-please

If you coud give further details of deceased persons related to people mentioned in that thread we may be able to help make connections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast