sandgrown

Default Bethnal Green - Stoker - 1841 census

In 1841 my great great grandfather, George Stoker, was a cabinet makers apprentice, living in with his master, John Pitman and his family, in Duncan Place, Tower Hamlets, South Hackney. George was probably the son of George and Elizabeth Stoker who were enumerated in Bethnal Green with their other children: James, Eliza and Frederick. Alas, none of the 1841 Stoker household can be found in the 1851 and later censuses. I can find neither marriage nor baptism records for the family although they all affirmed with a "Y" that they were "Born in Same County". I should appreciate any and all help in discovering this family story. My family name is "Stocker".

Famous for offering help & advice

St John Street, Clerkenwell,

George Stokes Head Married Male 57 1794 Printer Composetor London, Middlesex, England
    Eliza Stokes Wife Married Female 57 1794 - London, Middlesex, England
    Frederick Stokes Son - Male 17 1834 - London, Middlesex, England

sandgrown

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post

St John Street, Clerkenwell,

George Stokes Head Married Male 57 1794 Printer Composetor London, Middlesex, England
    Eliza Stokes Wife Married Female 57 1794 - London, Middlesex, England
    Frederick Stokes Son - Male 17 1834 - London, Middlesex, England
    Thanks Pamela - What an intriguing coincidence. The names and ages are an exact match. If the Stokes were misnamed Stoker in 1841, maybe my ancestors weren’t “Stocker” at all. Stocker, of course, is a popular name in Switzerland and Cornwall / Devon. What of George Stokes’ baptism in about 1825? And the baptisms of his siblings: James (1820), Eliza (1827), Frederick (1834)?
    Thanks.

Sandgrown, if your g. g. grandfather married Jane Elizabeth Rattle in 1853 then his father is Francis Stokes[sic] a servant.

St Jude Bethnal Green 15th May 1853 George Stokes [sic] 28yrs of 12, Felix St, cabinet maker, father Francis Stokes a servant.
    Jane Elizabeth Rattle 23yrs a needle woman of 15, Pitt? St, father John Rattle a shipwright
    Witnesses Elizabeth Stokes and Thos Porter.
    Alma

Before we can take this search further we need to know more about George. Who did he marry, the names of his children, where he lived,if you've found him on census the references, and anything else you know about him which will help the search.

My family name is "Stocker
    A George Stocker born circa 1827 can be found on census with wife Martha.

And anothe with wife Hannah.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrown View Post
    Thanks Pamela - What an intriguing coincidence. The names and ages are an exact match. If the Stokes were misnamed Stoker in 1841, maybe my ancestors weren’t “Stocker” at all. Stocker, of course, is a popular name in Switzerland and Cornwall / Devon. What of George Stokes’ baptism in about 1825? And the baptisms of his siblings: James (1820), Eliza (1827), Frederick (1834)?
    Thanks.
    Frederick's baptism is on Ancestry's London baptisms in St Leonards Shoreditch in 1834, and father George is a printer.
    Not much joy with the other baptisms, however some points to remember.
    Not all children were baptised as infants.
    The mother of the earlier children may not have been Elizabeth. Their mother could have died and George then married Elizabeth.

Equally, the earlier children's father could have been someone other than George, and they just took his surname when their mother re-married after her first husband died.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”