Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by burt View Post
    I will try and attach an odt file with the first 13 lines, but I think I had better ask Pam's advice
    as how to do that.
    Help Pam!
    Pffft! No good asking me, burt. As well as being useless at reading old documents I am the least techie of all the mods. Don't even know what an odt file is. (Truly!)

I do know that it can be tricky uploading images themselves to the forum because unless it's fairly close-up it can often be impossible to see what the image is 'about', if you know what I mean. e.g. it would be silly to try and show Charles' document as one image because you wouldn't be able to read a single word on it, so Charles has linked it via a third-party site.

I have now googled 'what is an odt file', and am still not much the wiser.
    Can you not just do a 'copy-and-paste' from the file to a forum post as I presume you're talking words rather than an image.
    If the answer is 'no', then after having read post #2 in this thread
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...y-to-your-post
    I think you will need to use an external photo hosting site. I know of photobucket and imgur. Charles uses drive.google.

If the quality of Charles' work in the earlier lines matches that in last couple of lines, I agree with you that he's done a good job, as the last couple of lines seems to be what is the standard wording of documents for that era.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

I have sent him a PM for his e-mail, Pam!

Settling in

Thanks, Burt.

In a separate private message I have sent you my email address. I believe I will be able to open an odt file.

And thank you for your discussion of the shorthand usage. It makes things clearer and seem more consistent to me.

I also can't see another alternative for 1/3 other than "open", which I agree does not sound right here. I have searched (in Google) for the phrase:

To all open people to whom this present wryting Indentid shall come

and have found many versions of this phrasing but none using the word "open". Most often the place of "open" is taken by "Christian" or the phrase "true Christian" or is omitted entirely.

Charles

Oh, well done! That's what it is the xp for Christ and 'en' for 'ian'

Settling in

More on 1/3 "open":

I just did the Google search again for

"To all" open "people to whom this present writing Indented shall come"

and found:

Person:William Smoot (1) - Genealogy - WeRelate
    https://www.werelate.org › wiki › Person:William_Smoot_(1)
    Aug 26, 2015 - TO ALL XPIAN PEOPLE to whom this present writing indented shall come ... neere the Branch that issueth out of MORATTICO CREEK running

where XPIAN is an abbreviation of Christian, where XP is Chi Rho for Christ. Maybe the word is Xpen and is the writer's version of the abbreviation?

What do you think, Burt?

Charles

Settling in

Yahoo! (short celebration)

Just why I was so dull as not to see that before I don't know. Sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees! They often wrote Christopher as Xpofer.

Should have added you would be quite correct, as it is another abbreviation, to
    transcribe it as 'Christen'.

Settling in

I had also read in one of the "Secretary Hand" instruction sheets that Christopher could be written as Xpofer. but I could not see the first letter in 1/3 as an X, for some reason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123