Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Help reading 1562 deed

I am new to this forum. With my brother, I have been researching the history of my ancestors from Somerset, UK. Richard Chamberlyne (aka Chamberlayne, Chamberlin, Chamberlen, etc) left North Cadbury in Somerset in the 1630s and settled in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. My brother and I visited North Cadbury and other parts of Somerset this June, collecting a great deal of information at the South West Heritage Trust in Taunton. One document we found was a deed mentioning our ancestors that was written in 1562 in the Secretary Hand, which I have been trying to decipher for the past several weeks. I have joined this forum in hopes of getting some tips on deciphering particular words that baffle me.

Here is a link to two images from this deed that I believe show the same word:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?ts=5d6576fa

The word occurs in the following text. (Please pardon my likely other errors in transcribing this document.)

(line 11)- To have and to holde the
    (line 12)- said Tenement and [other the premises w'th? all and single their [WORD] to the said Henry Lynney Richard
    (line 13)- Chamberlayne and John Chamberlayne for terme of their Lyves & the longest Lyver of them one after the
    (line 14)- other as they be namid in these presents

My best effort to transcribe the word letter-by-letter gives: "Apptenarny"

Any help would be appreciated.

Chamberlin
    Last edited by Chamberlin; 27-08-2019 at 8:40 PM. Reason: link did not appear

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could it be appurtenance(s)?

In property law, a minor right, interest, or privilege which passes when the title to the principal property is transferred.

Peter

Settling in

Thank you Peter! Yes, I think it is "appurtenances". I had transcribed four other words within the deed as "Appurtenances" and compared those instances with the two I shared via the link and they match.

Thank you.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Could it be appurtenance(s)?

In property law, a minor right, interest, or privilege which passes when the title to the principal property is transferred.

Peter

Settling in

I have another questions about the 1562 deed I have been transcribing.

Here is a link to a phrase from this deed that I am unable to decipher:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RHZ...ew?usp=sharing

The phrase occurs in the following text. (Please pardon my likely other errors in transcribing this document.)

(line 8)- All that my [Tenement?] Lying in the
    (line 9)- [Qush?] of [Ox?] [or?] [th'?] [cad] [Burye?] in the [Countye?] of [Somerset?] and ten acres of pasture [&?] Land arable to the [same?]
    (line 10)- [Tenement?]

My best effort to transcribe the word letter-by-letter gives: "[Qush?] of [Ox?] [or?] "

Charles Chamberlin

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think the first word is probably "parish". There isn't enough to work out how the scribe forms all of his letters. The word after of could be "New", but Bury, Somerset is only a village, north of Tiverton.pwholt

Loves to help with queries

parish of Northcadbury
    Tenement lying belong-

Settling in

Thank you both, pwholt and burt! Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Charles Chamberlin

Settling in

I have another question about the 1562 deed I have been transcribing.

Here is a link to lines 8 through 12 from this deed. Lines 10 and 11 fall on a crease in the parchment and contain many words that I am unable to decipher. Lines 10 and 11 are in the center of this image:

Lines 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/10yD...ew?usp=sharing

Here is my current transcription of those lines, plus a few preceding lines for context. (Please pardon my likely other errors in transcribing this document.) The words in square brackets […] are the ones I am unable to read, and there are a lot of them.

(line 6)- … Have Devisid
    (line 7)- granntid and by thes my present writing Indentid have consynnid to Henry Lynney the said Richard
    (line 8)- Chamberlayne and John Chamberlayne the sonne of the said Richard All that my Tenement Lying in the
    (line 9)- parish of North cad Burye in the Countye of Somerset and ten acres of pasture & Land arable to the same
    (line 10)- Tenement Lying belonging [vc?] [appatayning?] Ours w'th the same [he???] [yhd?] to [a?] [???] [???] w'th all and syingle

(Parts of lines 10 & 11 fall on a crease in the parchment.)

(line 11)- ther Appurtenances [??] w’th premises the sayd Henry Lynney before [hete?] …

Just in case you would like to see more examples of this person’s Secretary hand, here are likes to the whole document

Top section of deed:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VMR...ew?usp=sharing

Bottom section of deed:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jki...ew?usp=sharing

Charles Chamberlin

Loves to help with queries

Well you are OK with what yo have done to the beginning of line 10, although technically it should be
    transcribed precisely as it is i.e. [p(ar)ishe of Northcadburye] etc.
    Line 10 - Tenement Lying belonging & app(ur)tayning or with the same heretofore ?used [5 words in crease
    followed by]with all & singuler [line 11] the App(ur)tenanncs All which premisses the sayd Henry Lynney before held To have and to hold the said Tenement and other the premysses with all and singuler their App(ur)tenanncs
    to the said Henry Lynney Richard etc

The document is easily readable except for those words buried in the creases once you have mastered the
    script and the various shorthand they used.

Settling in

Thank you burt for your useful response and especially for your pointers. I have been learning as I go and have lots to still learn.

So unless I can obtain a better image of the words falling on the crease, some of the words may just be illegible.

Charles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast