Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Message to burt

Hi burt,

Since I am very new to this forum, would you please offer some guidance on how many queries I might post about this particular deed, especially given my newbie status. I do not want to ask too much.

Charles

Settling in

A followup question, burt:
    Can you point me to any good summaries of abbreviations used in the 16th Century Secretary Hand?

Charles

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
    Hi burt,

Since I am very new to this forum, would you please offer some guidance on how many queries I might post about this particular deed, especially given my newbie status. I do not want to ask too much.

Charles
    Hi Charles,

As one of the forum mods I will answer your question.

You can ask as many questions as you like about anything, but the rule is - one thread per subject. More than one thread usually (though admittedly not so much in this case) leads to duplicated research and frustration on the part of our members who have wasted time on that duplicated research.

I have therefore moved all your posts from the part 2 and part 3 threads to this, your original thread, and deleted the other two threads.

Having said that you can ask as many questions as you like, do be prepared for not receiving any replies to a particular query. This isn't indifference, purely down the fact that no-one can help. I've read your query but as I know zilch about old writing, I can't help, but I'm sure you don't want to receive about twenty replies saying 'sorry, read your query but can't help'.

Meanwhile, well done, burt, though I had to grin at your comment in post #9
    The document is easily readable
    Not to me it ain't.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

Thank you Pam. I wasn't suggesting everyone could read it easily! Rather that the document was clear
    apart from the creases!
    Charles, there are books on old handwriting, it is best to look online, I have never used any myself,
    just years of experience really working back from when you could read a script learning as you go.
    You seem to enjoy the challenge of attempting to transcribe yourself, perhaps if you post from the
    beginning what you have transcribed we can look and comment and point out the idiosyncrasies at the same
    time.

Settling in

Following up on Burt's suggestion, here is my transcription in its current form of the 1562 North Cadbury deed. And as Burt noted, I have enjoyed the challenge of reading this document, but sometimes the challenge has been daunting

The original images of the deed can be found via these links:

Top section of deed:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VMR...qWd94Dpj_/view

Bottom section of deed:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jki...BHUecTnML/view

Here is the transcription. The works in square brackets with or without question marks are my best shot but I recognize may not be correct. The words I am baffled by appear in lines 1, 10, 24, 31, 32, 33, 35, 37, 38, and 42. I would be grateful for any help.

Charles

(line 1)- To all [open?] people to whom this [present?] wryting [Indentid?] shall [come?] Will’m [Pulntoppe?] of [Blandford?{note 1}] in the
    (line 2)- countie of [Dorset?] [now?] [sendith?] [greating?] [in?] [our] Lord God [onlay?] [sing?/son?] Knowe [ye?] that I the said Will’m [Pulntoppe?]
    (line 3)- for and in [consideration?] of the [sume?] of Twelve Poundes of Lawfull [Englyshe?] [monie?] to me by Richard Chamberlayne [at?]
    (line 4)- [then?] [sealing?] [hes?] [cost?] in [hand?] [well?] and [farly?] [confermid?] and [payd?] of the [w'th?] [some?] of Twelve Poundes I [knowlodge?]
    (line 5)- my [selfe?] [well?] and [farly?] [satisfied?] [contentid?] and [payd?] And the said Richard Chamberlayne [his?] [Executor?]
    (line 6)- [&?] [Assygnes?] [thereof?] to [be?] [finlly?] [and?] [clearely?] [dismsid?] [and?] [dischargid?] [by] [these?] [prntes?/presents] Have [Devisid?]
    (line 7)- [granntid?] and by [thes/this?] my [prn't/present?] writing [Indentid?] [have?] [consyrmid?/consynnid?] to [Henry?] [Lynney?] the said Richard
    (line 8)- Chamberlayne and John Chamberlayne the sonne of the said Richard All that my [Tenement?] Lying in the
    (line 9)- [p(ar)ish?] of [North?] [cad] [Burye?] in the [Countye?] of [Somerset?] and ten acres of pasture [&?] Land arable to the [same?]
    (line 10)- [Tenement?] Lying [belonging?] [&?] [App(ur)tayning?] [or?] [w'th?] [the?] [same?] [heretofore?] [?used?] to [a?] [???] [???] [w'th?] [all?] [and?] [syingle?]

(Parts of lines 10 & 11 fall on a crease in the parchment.)

(line 11)- [the?] [Appurtenances?] [all?] [which?] [premises?] the [sayd?] [Henry?] [Lynney?] before [held?] To have and to holde the
    (line 12)- said [Tenement?] and [other?] the [premises?] [w'th?] all and [singuler?] [their?] [Appurtenances?] to the said [Henry?] [Lynney?] Richard
    (line 13)- Chamberlayne and John Chamberlayne for terme of [their?] [Lyves?] [&?] the [longest?] [Lyver?] of them [one?] [after?] the
    (line 14)- [other?] [as?] they be [namid?] [in?] [these?] [presents?] [Vesting?] and [paying?] [therefore?] [yearely?] to me the said wyllm [Pufutopp]
    (line 15)- my [heyres?] and [Assyns?] [during?] the said terme [Six?] [Shillings?] [Eight?] [pence] of lawful [Englyshe?] [monie?]
    (line 16)- [at?] [forer/four?] [prmnpall/principal?] [termes?] of the [yeare?] [that?] [is?] to [Pay?] [at?] the [feaste?] of [St?] [mychaell?] [the-arcangel?] the [Birth?]
    (line 17)- of [our?] Lord God [Th anncyaron/The annunciation?] of [our?] [Ladye?] [&?] the [Nativytie?] of [St?] John [Baptyst?] by [even?] [portions?] to be [pd?]
    (line 18)- And the said [Henry?] [Lynney?] Richard Chamberlayne & John Chamberlayne and [eny?] of them the said Ten
    (line 19)- and all [and?] [singleth?] [other?] the [premises?] [w'th?] [ther?] [Appurtenances?] [shall?] [well] and [sufficiently?] [repayre?], [sustayne?]
    (line 20]- [&?] [maynetayne?] in all thinges at [ther?] [prper/proper?] [costes?] and [chardges?] [as?] [often?] [as?] [neade?] [shall?] [requyre?] [duryng?] the said

(line 21)- terme [&?] the same [suffvuontly/sufficiently?] [repayred?] in [th' end?] of the said terme shall [Leave?] And [if?] [yt/it?] happen the
    (line 22)- said [yearely?] [Rent?] of Six shillinges [Eight?] [pence?] to be Behind [Unpaid?] in [parte?] [or?] in the [whole?] by the [space?]

(Parts of lines 22 and 23 fall on a crease in the parchment.]

(line 23)- of one [Quarter?] of a [yeare?] [rent?] [after?] any of the said [people?] in the [w'th?] [as?] [is?] [aforesaid] [it?] [ought?] to be [paid?]
    (line 24)- [is?] in the [meane?] [tyne?] [yt?] be [lawfully?] [askd?] and no [pnypycient?] [Istresse?] in and [upon?] the [premises?] may be
    (line 25)- [said?] that [thon?] [yt?] [shalbe?] [lawfull?] to me the sayd willm [Pulnortorpp?] my [Heyres?] and [Assygns?] into the
    (line 26)- said [Tenement?] [&?] all other the [pmyspes/premises?] [w'th=with] their [Appurtenances?] to reent and the same [to?] [have?] [agayne?]
    (line 27)- [is?] [repossede/repossessed?] as in [our?] [farm?] [estate?] this my [part?] [Demyse? {note2}] and [Grannt?] in any wise to the [contrary?] [notw'thstanding?]
    (line 28)- And I the said Wyllm [Pulnertopp?] and my Heyres the sayd Tenement and all and [singleth?] other
    (line 29)- the [pmyspes/premises?] before [apprssul/appraisal?] and [sperysed] [w'th] [their?] [Appfenomures/Appurtenances?] to the said [Henry?] [Lynney?] Richard
    (line 30)- Chamberlayne and John Chamberlayne in [manner?] and [forme?] [aforedeclarid?] [duryng?] the said Terme against all

(line 31)- people shall [moreant?] [drquite?] and defend by this [name?] know [ye?] [motion?] [me?] the said Wyllm
    (line 32)- [Pulentopp?] to same [constitutid?/constituted?] [ordaynid?/ordained?] [mepynt??] and in my [plane?] to [home?] put my [metbelaid?] in [Chryst?]
    (line 33)- Richard [waffes?] and Thomas [Qemes?] my [true?] and [lawfull?] [Attorneyes?] [Jointly?] and [senally?] to [enter?] [for?] me
    (line 34)- and in my name in to the said Tenement and [all?] [other?] the [pmyspes/premises?] [w'th=with] their [Appfenomures/Appurtenances?] [&?] [possessyon?]
    (line 35)- [&?] [????son?] the [??s?] to [fate?] and [after?] [puth?] [possession?] and [season?] to [theroost?] [hadd?] and [faten?] [full?] [&?] [peasable]

(parts of line 34 are on a crease in the parchment.)

(line 36)- [possession?] and [Season?] to the said [Henry?] [Lynney?] Richard Chamberlayne [&?] John Chamberlayne [be?] to
    (line 37)- them [a?] [or?] [forme?] [Afform?] to [desyns?] [wording?] to the [Efenght?] forme and Effort of this my [paid?] [wryting?]
    (line 38)- [Indenture?] [Tating?] and [allowyng?] [yn?] good parte [all?] and [nohatsoon?] my said [Attorneyes?] [as?] one of them shall
    (line 39)- do in the [pmy???] [by?] this [apaute?] In [Witness?] [noheroos?] to [thene?] part of this [part?] [noryfing?] [Indenture?]
    (line 40)- [remayning?] [w'th=with] the said [Henry?] [Lynney?] Richard Chamberlayne and John Chamberlayne I the said wyllm

(line 41)- [Pulnertopp?] have put my Seale to [thother/the other?] [part?] [remayning?] [w'th=with] me the sayd wyllm [Pulntopp?] the said
    (line 42)- [Henryes?] [wyllm?] [&?] John have put their [Seales?] [yeben?] the [third?] Day [August?] in the [forerth/fourth?] year
    (line 43)- of the [Raigne?] of [our?] [Sovayne?/Sovereign?] Ladie Elizabeth by the grace of God of England France [&?] Ireland Queen
    (line 44)- Defender of the fayth [etc?]

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Charles,

the links you gave in post #15 to the two halves of the document came up with 'file not found', so I've replaced them with the URLs you gave in post #8.
    If those links are not suitable then can you have another try at uploading links to version 2?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Good catch. Thank you Pam.

Charles

You have done extremely well, Charles!
    I will go through it carefully now, it may be tomorrow now, and get back to you with my results.

Settling in

That is high praise coming from you, Burt! I will patiently await your results.
    Charles

There are really only two types of 'shorthand' involved in this document, which is either the upright
    curled tail denoting missing letters or a squiggle over the word often involving the letter 'p' denoting the same and with 'p' this can be 're', 'er' or 'ar', but this I see you have realised. The other, of which I see at least one example is 'y' for 'th' as in ye, this was never pronounced as 'yee', but as 'the', but for some reason we tend to transcribe it as written.
    If we take for instance the third word of line one and describe it as '1/3', it will be easy for us to arrive at the same conclusion?
    So, 1/3, I cannot see it as anything other than 'open' although I do not like it.
    2/1 Countie,etc
    I will try and attach an odt file with the first 13 lines, but I think I had better ask Pam's advice
    as how to do that.
    Help Pam!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast