Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    Death by accident would have been referred to the coroner, not necessarily to establish the cause of death, which might be apparent, but to determine the cause of the accident.
    That's an interesting point & a very fitting one in this case.
    Thank you.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

A search of all the online british newspaper archives for that name from 1st nov till 31st December 1854 gave no hits

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    A search of all the online british newspaper archives for that name from 1st nov till 31st December 1854 gave no hits
    Thank you so much for checking that out for me, I am very grateful.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Things may have changed now but in the past The British Library offered a service whereby they would undertake a free 30 minute search of papers for an item and, if something was found, offer to provide copies for a fee.

You know where and when the event happened and if you could find a local paper or two, check if the facility still exists. The more detail you can give, the more focussed and, hopefully, successful the search is likely to be.

Brock

Wow, I never knew that!
    Thank you for that information which I will certainly look into.

Deaths from burns for women and small children were common back then because of their clothing and the fact that open fires were the only source of heat in the home for everything from cooking to cleaning and heating the house.
    The cause of death would be obvious, but the Coroner would still have had to follow procedures.

Brock

Very good point Lesley & one which I had not considered.
    Thank you so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12