Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Pinpointing my Grandmother in 1927

Hi all
    Not sure if I've chosen the right spot for this, but here goes. Following a recent contact with an Ancestry member, who, like me had a DNA test, we have discovered that we seem to share a common ancestor by the name of Thomas Henry Smith 1865-1936. He was born in Worcestershire but ended up in Upton on Severn. My mother was illigitimate but by a process of elimination it would seem that one of Thomas Henry Smith's sons may have been my Grandfather. Both Thomas and his son Harry Thomas Smith (1887-1861)were involved in the pub trade and my Grandmother, Florence Hester Nelmes, (1903 -1944) worked as a barmaid, perhaps in the same pub, perhaps not. Please note, there is another Florence H Nelmes who appears in the records around this time who married a Smith and lived in Wales. This is not the same person as my Florence Hester Nelmes.Electoral rolls tell me that Florence was at The Plough Hotel, High Street, Cheltenham in 1930.In 1927, Thomas Henry Smith was at the Woolpack Inn, Slad Road, Slad Vale, Stroud.In 1927, Harry Thomas Smith was at The Plough Inn, Cainscross Road, Stroud.What I would like to find out if at all possible, is where Florence was in 1927.
    Any suggestions as to where I might try to find a record of her location at this time would be most helpful. I am not based in the UK, so any suggestions would need to be of the online variety.
    Many thanks
    Jane

Hi Jane
    Well as you said Florence Hester is on the Electoral Rolls in 1930

When you mentioned another Florence H Nelmes being married in Monmouthshire I did a search for birth of Florence H Nelmes anywhere anytime,on FreeBMD. There are only three. Yours in 1903, the Florence H married in Monmouthshire to Thomas Smith in 1922 who would appear to be the Florence Hilda born Monmouthshire 1897.
    There was another Florence Hilda birth registered Ross in 1888.She died age 5 in 1893.

Yours is the only Florence Nelmes with the middle name Hester. Which brings me to the question why there is a Florence Hester Nelmes on the electoral rolls in Gloucestershire in 1930 at Ham Berkeley and also the one you mention at Cheltenham. Recorded twice? Florence Hester is also at Ham in 1929.

Doesn't help with where she is in 1927 though.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Until 1928 it was mainly only women over the age of 30 who were allowed to vote, so if Florence was 24, she wouldn't appear on the electoral rolls in 1927.

Beginning of last paragraph regarding women who could vote 1918 onwards.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%..._suffrage_1918

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”