Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Agnes Smith - Birth Record

I've been trying to get to the bottom of this for ages but i'm just not getting anywhere. I've looked through the birth and parish records, the census records etc and I can't find anything that fits. And also it doesn't help that the name is very common. Is there anything that anyone can recommend to help me close the gap?

I'm trying to find a birth record/ baptism record for my 2 x great grandmother so that I can trace her line back further.

Agnes Smith DOB 23rd October 1881.
    Father's name: John Smith - On Agnes' marriage certificate in 1901 his occupation was listed as a Soap Maker.

Agnes was married in Salford and lived there until she died. From what I know Agnes was from the Salford/Manchester area.
    I've been told from a family member there was a Yorkshire connection to Agnes so it's possible she was born there but I think I have linked the Yorkshire connection to her mother-in-law who she went to visit.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Assuming that the DoB that you have is accurate then there are not that many possibilities.

Her birth should have been registered in either the last quarter of 1881 or the the first quarter of 1882.

Searching on FreeBMD shows that there were 12 Agnes (including variations thereof) Smiths births registered in the last quarter of 1881. Now assuming that I have correctly identified the location of the registration districts, (and there is no guarantee of that), then the north west possibilities are:

Prescot Vol 8B Page 722
    Flyde Vol 8e Page 671 - unlikely as this is near Blackpool
    W Derby Vol 8b Page 457 - this is near Liverpool

The Yorkshire possibles are:
    Doncaster Vol 9c page 701
    York Vol 9d page 30 - Agnes Jane
    Bradford, Y Vol 9b Page 53 - Agnes Maud

Moving on to the first quarter of 1882:

In the North West:
    Blackburn Vol 8e Page 405 - Agnes Ann

In Yorkshire:
    Doncaster Vol 9c Page 679
    Helmsley Vol 9d Page 431
    Keighley Vol 9a Page 168

It is possible to request the GRO to undertake a search for you using the actual birth date that you have, and not giving them any of the references. However, now it used to be free, but it costs a minimum of £3.00 per search, and you always had to pay the cost of the certificate up front (currently £11), which you get refunded if they could not find it, but now they will withhold £3.50 if they can't find it. So each unsuccessful search could cost £6.50.

The minimum about of information that they need from you is the name of the person, the year of the birth, or the actual date - which you have, and where it took place. Now I believe that it is not the registration district that they are looking for, just the place. So in theory, you could try Yorkshire and see if that works as one search. Or it might be worth a phone call to them to ask their advice.

There is a box that allows you to fill in her father's name.

Full details available from the GRO web site:
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...gCertificates6

Famous for offering help & advice

There is this baptism in St James Catholic Church, Pendleton (Salford) from lan-opc.org.uk
    Although one year later

Mother of God and St James, Pendleton, Lancashire
    1 Oct 1882 - Agnes Smith - filia Johannis Smith & Mariae* (formerly Shields)
    Born: 24 Sep 1882
    Abode: 12 Freehold St. Godparents: Maria Helena King

*Daughter of John And Mary

Who did Agnes marry & where?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Who did Agnes marry & where?
    She married Thomas Ardrey in 1901 (I have the marriage certificate) and she married again in 1918 to Albert Hayes. I also have her death certificate with states her DOB but the registrar didn’t include where she was born when he completed the death certificate.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Agnes Smith. Dec 1882 Salford Mmn Shields

Possible marriage. John Smith/Mary Shields Jun 1875. Sculcoates (East Riding of Yorkshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh_ View Post
    She married Thomas Ardrey in 1901 (I have the marriage certificate) and she married again in 1918 to Albert Hayes. I also have her death certificate with states her DOB but the registrar didn’t include where she was born when he completed the death certificate.
    Ashleigh, are there any clues to be gleaned from the marriage witnesses? Or from Agnes' address on the certificate?
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Ashleigh, are there any clues to be gleaned from the marriage witnesses? Or from Agnes' address on the certificate?
    Thomas and Agnes’ address is listed as 45 Springfield Lane, Salford but I checked the address on the 1901 census which was completed 2 months after their marriage and I couldn’t find them. It seems that they were only married for 7 years and then she has a child with Albert Hayes in 1908, so I can’t find any info on a later census.

The witnesses were Margaret Ellen Lake and Joseph Lake

I have found this.

It relates to Thomas Ardreys death and has an address which may be useful.

Service No: 22876
    Regiment/Service: Worcestershire Regiment, 4th Bn.

(Served as HARDY). Son of Thomas and Ellen Ardrey, of 9, Worth Village, York; husband of Agnes Hayes (formerly Ardrey), of 6, Sandywell St., Springfield Lane, Salford, Manchester.

That could be the Yorkshire connection,where his parents lived.

Agnes Hayes and her daughter Mary Elizabeth Ardrey are on the 1939 register at Salford where, strangely, Agnes's date of birth is given as 25 December 1881

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast