Loves to help with queries

Default 7th Dragoon Guards 1831-1846

I have tracked an ancestor's service with the 7th Dragoon Guards from his enlistment in 1831 to his discharge in 1846. I was surprised at the time that he spent in hospital over the years. This does not appear to be unusual however, with several hundred men being in hospital every month. What could be the cause(s) of so many men being hospitalised? I can imagine there were training injuries, horse kicks and disease, also could marching fatigue be a factor, but would this account for the high numbers and frequency? Does anyone know if there are any medical records available anywhere for this time as I would love to find out the detail.
    Many thanks.

My first thought was military discipline at this time eg.-

Salisbury & Winchester Journal, 8 April 1833

Extract from an article headed "Military Flogging" -
    "Soldiers have been flogged for 'mere trifles' under the sweeping clause 'Neglect of Duty'. Men have mutilated themselves to get rid of the service. It would be imagined from the number of sore backs which were dressed in the hospitals of Dublin, that the Commanding Officers of the 7th Dragoon Guards, the Royals and the 23rd Light Dragoons, considered such barbarities as a test of discipline"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

My ancestors military record from a similar period included details of why he was hospitalised, and a frequent reason when serving abroad was 'ague'

Reputation beyond repute

dogaholic - what was the source of the information you have? I mean the actual record set. And what's the guy's name?

Awful but interesting!

I spent a full day at Kew going through all the muster books. His name was Thomas Crockett. He had a very uneventful career as far as I can tell, marching between various postings around England, Ireland and Scotland and latterly recruiting around the country. He went awol for a couple of days, was court martialled and sent to prison for 6 weeks with hard labour. (I would like to find out more about this if I can) Subsequently cleaned up his act and eventually received extra 'good conduct' payments but remained a Private throughout. An interesting day which has made me want to find out more. I wonder if the Regimental Museum at York holds any other relevant records?