Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Do you have any of Doris Ada's marriage certificates? Who does she name as her father?

The Elizabeth A Pretty mentioned may be the Elizabeth Agnes Wayling who married John Pretty in Croydon in 1907. In 1911 they have no children, and I cant see any born later either, so could Doris Ada actually be a child they adopted after 1911? John died 20 Mar 1953, administration to Elizabeth Agnes Pretty, who died in 1971.
    I think this is the right one. The birth i found I also found a possible marriage for her (can't remember to whom at the moment. Not that this helps with finding Doris Ada and sorting out her shenanigins.

The marriage certificates for the three marriages would help sort it but that may be an expense too far
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

I think it has been established that the Doris PRETTY born in Leicestershire is not your Doris.

This is probably Doris' death:

Doris Alice FRIEND
    Death Age: 84
    Birth Date: 10 Feb 1913
    Registration Date: Nov 1997
    Registration district: Surrey South-eastern
    Register Number: 1A3F
    District and Subdistrict: 7601A
    Entry Number: 168

You will find her in South Molton, Devon in 1939. The only other person not redacted in the household is Brian BURROWS who I thought was probably the son of Frederick's brother Charles George and his wife, Doris May AUSTIN, however I can see Charles and family in Croydon in 1939 - perhaps the children were evacuated and have been recorded twice.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    At number 14 in the same street is a Frederick H Burrows and an Edith M. So I went looking for a marriage for them and it was in 1954. Edith's surname Rowland. Coincidence here?
    That looks like a second marriage for Frederick and was in 1952, not 1954.

21 March 1952 - Norwood News - London, London, England

Mr. Frederick Henry Burrows, Charnwood-road, South Norwood was granted a decree nisi by Judge Glazebrook in the Divorce Court on Tuesday because of adultery by his wife Mrs. Doris Alice Burrows, with a man named Friend. The suit was undefended. Mr and Mrs. Burrows were married at Croydon register office in July, 1934, and they lived at Whitehorse-lane, South Norwood......(there may be more to the article).

Great find Dundee10, thanks for joining in and correcting my mistake with the date of marriage..
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Ok so I admit I have lost the plot here.
    On the death registration and the divorce papers it is Doris Alice Friend/Burrows. There is no middle initial on the 1939 register entry (it was added at a later date when she informed them of her marriage to Friend) and it is here and on the death registration that her birth date is given as 10 Feb 1913.
    There is no birth reg for a Doris or a Doris A Pretty in 1913 anywhere, any quarter on FreeBMD. So please, where does that leave us? Was she registered as Doris without a middle name and added it herself later, but it still doesn't tally with a birth year of 1913. Between 1906 and 1915 there is only one birth of a Doris Pretty that ties in with a birth date of Feb 10 and that is March 1/4 1915 Middlesbro mmn Storr
    So we need a marriage certificate to Burrows to get her age at marriage and her father's name and occupation.?

Christina
    William Burroughs

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    That looks like a second marriage for Frederick and was in 1952, not 1954.

21 March 1952 - Norwood News - London, London, England

Mr. Frederick Henry Burrows, Charnwood-road, South Norwood was granted a decree nisi by Judge Glazebrook in the Divorce Court on Tuesday because of adultery by his wife Mrs. Doris Alice Burrows, with a man named Friend. The suit was undefended. Mr and Mrs. Burrows were married at Croydon register office in July, 1934, and they lived at Whitehorse-lane, South Norwood......(there may be more to the article).
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for all your efforts, I have for years thought that Doris was Doris Ada, and not Doris Alice, so was barking up the wrong tree, sorry about that. Can I ask where you found the info on the divorce? How did you know to look where you did!?

I certainly need your help, and will come back with a further scenario when I hear back from you.

Regards and Thanks, Carol

Hi Christanel,

Just a thought, could this be her with her first names transposed? The birth was registered in the area where she married.

Pretty Alice D, Mother's maiden name Hawkins Croydon 2a 502
    Alma

That sounds really good Alma. March 1/4 registration matches as does Croydon. Thank you - I should have thought of swapping the first names around but am not running on all cylinders at the moment.
    There is a marriage of an Albert W Pretty and an Alice Hawkins Dec 1/4 1912 Croydon.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

I also think that it is probably the right birth reg. for Doris in Croydon.

PRETTY, ALICE DORIS
    Mother's maiden surname: HAWKINS
    GRO Reference: 1913 M Quarter in CROYDON Volume 02A Page 502

Quote Originally Posted by carolp View Post
    Can I ask where you found the info on the divorce? How did you know to look where you did!?
    The newspaper article is on Findmypast but I don't have a sub so don't know if there is more to the article. I just assumed that there would have been a divorce around that time if they both remarried in 1952.

The birth of Alice Doris seems to be the only child for Albert W Pretty and Alice Hawkins.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast