Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Benjamin Skelton RFA

Hi All,
    I’ve just joined the community to try and further my Family knowledge in ww1, having researched the Great War for many years, visited Sites in France & Belgium, I am now trying to find my Grandfathers records in ww1, his name was Benjamin Skelton, of the RFA, Gassed once and then injured by shrapnel, which then ended his time at the front. I have a few records, his pension etc, but i’m trying to find his regiment & where he fought, any tips would be great,,, Thanks in Advance
    Colin

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

Is this your grandfather? Do his pension records match these regimental numbers?

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
    Benjamin Skelton
    Regiment or Corps - Royal Field Artillery TF Gunner 1305,
    Royal Field Artillery BDR (bombadier) 196907

For theatre of war first served in it just has what could be a 1 or an I. The date of entry was 20 March 1915 Because he joined up early in the War he received the 15 Star as well as the Victory and British medals. Medal Roll Index cards only give the minimum Information, very rarely is there anything personal on them.

There is only one other Benjamin Skelton in the RFA and he has the middle names William and George.

This is the Medal and Award reocrd for the benjamin above.
    Benjamin Skelton
    Military Year 1914-1920
    Rank - Bombardier
    Medal Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment or Corps - Royal Artillery (Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery)
    Regimental Number - 196907
    Sub Unit - Royal Field Artillery
    Previous Units - R.F.A. 1305 (T.F) Bdr

You can search for 'Royal Artillery (Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery)' in the WWI War Diaries (France, Belgium, Germany) collection and for 'Royal Artillery (Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery)' in the WWI War Diaries (Gallipoli) collection at the National Archives. You won't see a personal reference to him unless he did something absolutely, bravely astounding. because the lower ranks didn't get mentioned.

There is another WW1 Pension ledger for a Benjamin Skelton on ancestry but they have secreted it in an offshoot of their site for which one has to purchase a separate subscription so I can't see it. However he is a bombadier in the RFA with the service number 755175. But I can't find a Medal Roll Index card for him.

Be aware that 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds one for their ancestor.
    If you have your grandfather's service number let us know what it is and we can search again.
    Christina

ps I have moved your post to the History Topics WW1 1914-1918 forum where it will get more attention than in the Introduce Yourself forum. It's title is 'Benjamin Skelton RFA'
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much, that is my grandfather,I will upload some information later today, but thank you very much