Knowledgeable and helpful

Default What is this on a baptism record?

Researching the Springall family. I have the 1892 baptism record for Henry Herbert Springall born 18th June 1892 and baptised on 13th August 1892. Beside his name there is a note which seems to say "Private child died". I can't find a birth record for another child born who might have been Henry's twin and died. Henry Herbert Springall's birth record on GRO gives mother's maiden name of 'Thompson'.

Any idea what this note means?

Loves to help with queries

The death of Henry Herbert was registered at Camberwell in the Sept qtr of 1892 so my interpretation of the note is that the child was close to death and a private baptism was performed.

Oh, thanks. I've never come across it before so have learnt something!

In general a baptism is/was supposed to take place in front of the congregation so that the event could be seen publicly. However there were cases, often involving a child that was very ill, where it was done at home, and so that was a “private” baptism as opposed to the more normal “public” ceremony.
    ELWYN

Thank you for a very useful piece of information which I can feed into the story of the family. I suppose the little marginal note 'private' would suggest the baptism was carried out at home and the note about the child dying added in later. Let's hope the little one didn't die too soon after the baptism.