Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wanting to start a new thread

Sorry to post here but how do you enter a new thread? I am new and don't see where I can do it.

Thanks. Kevin

Hello Kevin and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

First of all I have moved your post to the Introduce Yourself forum so it now has a thread of its own with the title 'Wanting to start a new thread'

At the moment we are experiencing some difficulty with viewing the Forums page which shows all the individual forums on our site and from which you can choose the most suitable for your query.
    The best way to get to the Forum page (bearing in mind I don't know from which page you are actually accessing BG) is to scroll down to the bottom of the page and in the blue bar look for Home. Click on this and it will take you to the Forums page. Scroll down the page until you find the one you think is most suitable, but don't worry too much as a Moderator can always move it if needs be.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by kjfswkr View Post
    Sorry to post here but how do you enter a new thread? I am new and don't see where I can do it.

Thanks. Kevin
    Me too Kevin. I cant seem to find anything that lists the forums, or where to find them. I am trying to figure out some lost information on Walsh Family in Dartford Kent, and how Grandmother (Vera Constance Waterman) married one Walsh (William A) but had a child (John Peter) to a different Walsh (Charles). I cant just pop down to the records office from New Zealand.

Hi Kiwi_Walsh
    having just answered your post about Vera and William it is evident you sorted out the problem of seeing all the forums on one page. Did you click on Home in the blue bar at the bottom of the page?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

I subscribe to this query. Despite being a member here since I was in short trousers I seldom start new threads but every time I try to do so I struggle to find out or remember how to do so (perhaps a problem of memory now that I've graduated to long pants). It's not at all apparent how to do it. Food for thought maybe?
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines View Post
    I subscribe to this query. Despite being a member here since I was in short trousers I seldom start new threads but every time I try to do so I struggle to find out or remember how to do so (perhaps a problem of memory now that I've graduated to long pants). It's not at all apparent how to do it. Food for thought maybe?
    First decide in which forum you want to post your query, and then click on that forum.
    Across the page you have blue banner beginning 'today's posts'.
    Underneath that there's a beige-y strip which says 'forum', followed by the name of the forum.
    Then a link to FWR.
    And underneath that, a little beige box which says 'start new thread'
    Click on it.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I think that you've just made my point Pam
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines View Post
    I think that you've just made my point Pam
    OK, Tony, I'll simplify it for you.

Select the forum in which you want to post.
    On the left-hand side of the page, in exactly the same place as you find the 'reply to thread' link, you will see the same box but this time it will say 'start new thread'. Click.

Pam
    who always uses twenty words when two will do.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam. I certainly need simple things quite a lot but I remain unconvinced. The primary purpose of a forum is to enable people to make posts. It follows that the means to do so should be right up there in bold on the home page ideally with a virtual button to take you to the forums pages. It's a matter of good design and it shouldn't need you hard-worked mods to have to explain it to newbies (hate that word) or to plonkers like me. If a site buries basic functions it frustrates the very people it seeks to attract.

Probably much of my rant will be seen as trivial by oldies (is that what an experienced newbie should be called?) if they regularly start new threads because using a slightly complicated process has become second nature. But when I drive my car the gear lever is right where my left hand falls naturally not hidden behind the fascia somewhere so that I have to press buttons to get at it.

Please ask the IT guys to be take pity on us feeble minded members (or should that be singular "member") even if they don't worry too much about newcomers.

Hi Tony
    I have put a plea in to Admin to ask the techies to look at this.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast