Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

Select the forum in which you want to post.
    That's the problem!! How to select the forum in which you want to post.

When I "arrive" at BritGen my screen shows:
    - British Genealogy/Hire A Researcher/Blog/Whats New;
    - blue bar:
    Todays Posts/FAQ/Community/Notifications/Forum Actions/Quick Links/Log Out/Search;
    - FWR banner
    - vBulletin message:
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms;
    - blue bar:
    Contact Us/Home/Archive/Terms and Conditions/Top;
    - links to sister sites

I then click on "Todays Posts" and arrive ...

But to find a forum I have to search for a message already IN that forum - either a live thread from "Todays Posts" or one from my "Subscribed Threads" in "Quick Links".

Yes, I realise that my first screen is perhaps not the intended way to "arrive" ... but that's where my link has always taken me, and I don't know how to change it!

I'm with Tony on this one - please make life simple!

Jane

Famous for offering help & advice

I have my bookmark set to https://www.british-genealogy.com/forum/ but once there I immediately click on What's New in the white bar at the top.

The page in my bookmark (which I don't usually look at) is a full list of forums, and it seems you can also get there by clicking the little house icon or the word "Forum" next to it in the first menu bar below the white one. I think this appears on every page.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by fullscott View Post
    That's the problem!! How to select the forum in which you want to post.

When I "arrive" at BritGen my screen shows:
    - British Genealogy/Hire A Researcher/Blog/Whats New;
    - blue bar:
    Todays Posts/FAQ/Community/Notifications/Forum Actions/Quick Links/Log Out/Search;
    - FWR banner
    - vBulletin message:
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms;
    - blue bar:
    Contact Us/Home/Archive/Terms and Conditions/Top;
    - links to sister sites

I then click on "Todays Posts" and arrive ...

But to find a forum I have to search for a message already IN that forum - either a live thread from "Todays Posts" or one from my "Subscribed Threads" in "Quick Links".

Yes, I realise that my first screen is perhaps not the intended way to "arrive" ... but that's where my link has always taken me, and I don't know how to change it!

I'm with Tony on this one - please make life simple!

Jane
    Jane, (and everyone else )

Click on the link that arthurk has given in the previous post and then bookmark it.
    Then always click on that link when you want to access BG.
    It should display all the forums, if you want to look down them. Alternatively, you can either click on 'today's posts' (in blue bar, top left) or 'what's new' (top right-hand corner), depending how long ago you last signed in.

If you want to create a new thread, go to the appropriate forum and the 'post new thread' button is on the left-hand side, immediately below the FWR banner.

If you want to reply to an existing thread, then the 'reply to thread' button is both at the top of the page, left-hand side, immediately under the FWR banner, and at the bottom of the last post in the thread, again left-hand side.

Bear in mind that the original post in this thread was made six months ago when we were having a few techie problems. The vast majority of new members seem to find their way around the forums without any problems so, personally, I don't see that there's anything that seriously needs fixing.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12