Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I also think that Louisa Brownsword b 1859 mmn Parsons is a possibility. A Joseph Brownsword b1833, father's name Richard Lear married a Mary Parsons b1829 in 1854 at Audley Staffs. Possible children are Hannah b1854, John b1856, Louisa b1859 and Sarah Jane b 1861.
    There is an 18 yr old Joseph Brownsword grandson to Hannah Bownsword at Butt Lane, Audley Talk Hamlet in 1851. He may be eldest son of daughter Louisa Brookes born before marriage, or son of one of her siblings.

There is an 18 yr old Joseph Brownsword grandson to Hannah Bownsword at Butt Lane, Audley Talk Hamlet in 1851. He may be eldest son of daughter Louisa Brookes born before marriage, or son of one of her siblings.
    The parish record for the marriage between Joseph Brownsword and Mary Parsons gives their address as Butt Lane. Richard Lear is named as Joseph Brownsword's 'purported father'
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    The parish record for the marriage between Joseph Brownsword and Mary Parsons gives their address as Butt Lane. Richard Lear is named as Joseph Brownsword's 'purported father'
    Think we do have Louisa Brownsword's family here Alma.The problem seems to be following them afterwards, esp Louisa!
    I have a possible marriage for Hannah Brownsett in Talke in 1873 to Peter Jones, father Joseph Brownsett.
    Also a very tenuous Joseph and Mary Brooke (surname of Joseph's poss stepfather) in Brieryhurst in 1861 but with children Henry 1853,Hannah 1854 and Elizabeth 1859. RG9 p 1923 f83 p49. Am trying to find the children's
    births to rule them in or out.
    Am off out shortly but will look again this evening.

Think we do have Louisa Brownsword's family here Alma.The problem seems to be following them afterwards, esp Louisa!
    I have a possible marriage for Hannah Brownsett in Talke in 1873 to Peter Jones, father Joseph Brownsett.
    Also a very tenuous Joseph and Mary Brooke (surname of Joseph's poss stepfather) in Brieryhurst in 1861 but with children Henry 1853,Hannah 1854 and Elizabeth 1859. RG9 p 1923 f83 p49. Am trying to find the children's
    births to rule them in or out.
    Am off out shortly but will look again this evening.
    Thank you, Grisel.

I tried again last night to find Louisa without luck!
    Alma

I have a very vague possible for Louisa in 1871 at Leamore, Bloxwich, Walsall Foreign, working as a servant to Thomas Ross & family. The handwriting is awful but its RG10 Piece 2958 Folio 16 Page 26

The PoB has been dittoed from the Ross family, so possibly can’t be relied on
    Louisa Br????? Servant aged 12 born Bloxwich

If its her, it would put her about 10-15 miles from Joseph.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I have a very vague possible for Louisa in 1871 at Leamore, Bloxwich, Walsall Foreign, working as a servant to Thomas Ross & family. The handwriting is awful but its RG10 Piece 2958 Folio 16 Page 26

The PoB has been dittoed from the Ross family, so possibly can’t be relied on
    Louisa Br????? Servant aged 12 born Bloxwich

If its her, it would put her about 10-15 miles from Joseph.
    FS have her as Louisa Braunover so not too different from Brownsword....

Its Branower on FMP. The person below is Somerfield, and looking at the 'd' in his surname and on the word 'Head' and the forename 'Edward' it's quite similar to the ending of Louisa's surname. That's why I mentioned it, but I can't quite make my mind up....

I keep coming back to Joseph Brooke b1833 and wife Mary in Brieryhurst near Kidsgrove in 1861 and the same family I think in Talke in 1871. I can only see the FS transcriptions and some of the children's names are off, but there is something about them.I am suspecting that as Joseph was brought up as a Brooke not a Brownsword that the names wete used interchangeably.If anyone has access to the actual images perhaps that would help.

I keep coming back to Joseph Brooke b1833 and wife Mary in Brieryhurst near Kidsgrove in 1861 and the same family I think in Talke in 1871. I can only see the FS transcriptions and some of the children's names are off, but there is something about them.I am suspecting that as Joseph was brought up as a Brooke not a Brownsword that the names wete used interchangeably.If anyone has access to the actual images perhaps that would help.
    Hi Grisel, here's the census records for Joseph Brooks/Brookes. He does look promising, however there's no Louisa on 1861 or 1871.

Thomas Brookes and Louisa Brownsword married 23rd Dec 1833 which is possibly after Joseph was born (he gives a birth year of 1833 on census returns)

After his marriage
    1861, Brieryhurst, RG 9; Piece: 1923; Folio: 83; Page: 49
    All born Staffordshire (no place name given.
    Joseph Brooks 28, collier
    Mary Brooks 34
    Harry Brooks 8
    Hannah Brooks 7
    Elizabeth Brooks 2
    John Parker 23, boarder, Manchester.

1871, Audley. RG10; Piece: 2836; Folio: 73; Page: 39;
    Joseph Brookes 38, coal miner, Audley
    Mary Brookes 39, Cheshire
    Anner Brookes 19, Audley
    Daisey Brookes 12, Audley
    Marica Brookes 9, Audley
    Daniel Brookes 5, Audley

Joseph Brookes, miner, BUTT LANE
    Mary Brookes, 50, ????
    Daniel Brookes, 16, miner, Talke Staffs
    William Brookes, nephew, 2, Talke Staffs

Pre marriage.
    1841, Butt Lane, Talk Hamlet, Audley.
    HO107; Piece: 986; Book: 12; Page: 11
    Thomas Brookes 30, coal miner
    Louisa Brookes 26
    Joseph Brookes 8
    Mary Brookes 7
    Daniel Brookes 3
    John Brookes 7 Mo

1851, Butt Lane, Audley. HO107; Piece: 2001; Folio: 522; Page: 34
    All born Audley.
    Hannah Braidwood [sic] 83, head (original looks like BROWNSWOOD)
    Thos Brookes 40, son in law, coal miner
    Louisa Brookes 36, daughter
    Joseph Braidwood [sic] 18, g. son
    Daniel Brookes 12, g. son
    John Brookes 10, g. son
    Harriet Brookes 7, g. dau
    Thomas Brookes 5, g. son
    Susanna Brookes 3, g. dau
    Marianna Brookes 2 Mo, g. dau

It is interesting that Joseph in 1881 census is entered as born Butt Lane

Thomas Brookes and Louisa Brownsword married 23rd Dec 1833 which is after Joseph was born (he gives a birth year of 1833 on census returns)

Thomas Brookes doesn't seem to be Joseph's biological father, as Joseph at marriage named his father as 'purported to be Richard Lear'.
    Alma

Josephs baptism was at Church Lawton, which was then in Cheshire.

10 Feb 1833 Joseph bastard son of Louisa Brownswood, Audley, Single Woman

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast