Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Throwing this in, make of it what you will!

BROWNSWORD, SARAH JANE, Mother's maiden name PARSONS
    GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 110
    Alma

Loves to help with queries

Hi Almach
    I thought I had seen a Sarah Jane but it was getting late last night. I will put her back in my tree.
    Thank you for the correction.
    Regards,
    Green Family

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm still confused about Marcia - there is no birth registration and the 1865 baptism is Sarah Jane

BROWNSWORD, HANNAH mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1854 J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME Volume 06B Page 60

BROWNSWORD, JOHN mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1856 D Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 81

BROWNSWORD, LOUISA mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 96

BROWNSWORD, SARAH JANE mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 110

BROWNSETT, DANIEL mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1865 J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME Volume 06B Page 73

A Mary was also baptised in 1858, who was older than Hannah and is probably the 'Harry' on the 1861, aged 8

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I'm still confused about Marcia - there is no birth registration and the 1865 baptism is Sarah Jane

BROWNSWORD, HANNAH mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1854 J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME Volume 06B Page 60

BROWNSWORD, JOHN mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1856 D Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 81

BROWNSWORD, LOUISA mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1859 J Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 96

BROWNSWORD, SARAH JANE mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 110

BROWNSETT, DANIEL mmn PARSONS GRO Reference: 1865 J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME Volume 06B Page 73

A Mary was also baptised in 1858, who was older than Hannah and is probably the 'Harry' on the 1861, aged 8
    Hi
    Checked all GRO's I think you are correct my Marcia is in fact Sarah Jane.

What's up with this family why don't they call their children their baptised names!

Joseph uses a different surname in different years of census Brownswood, Brownsand, Brownsword & Brownsett or Brookes when he likes,

Calls Louisa:- Elizabeth or Daisey.

Calls Hannah:- Anner.

Calls Mary:- Harry and changes her sex.

Calls Sarah Jane:- Marcia.

Calls John Brownword and Daniel Brownsett

Thanks

Green Family

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Green family
    If we do have the correct family there could be several reasons for the discrepancies. Brownsword, Brownsett etc may be spelled as heard by vicars, registrars etc and so not consistent.
    Joseph Brownsword was brought up as a Brookes and probably used both surnames.
    The first names in census records could be misspelled due to poor handwriting by the enumerators in original forms - could a poorly written Louisa be recorded as Daisey? Harder to get Maria from Sarah Jane though! Or perhaps as you suggest, they did not use their baptismal names.
    Also Louisa may poss been baptised twice as FS have a baptism in Kidsgrove in March 1859 of a Louisa Brooks d/o Joseph and Mary.

Hi Grisel
    Thanks for the explanation, Interesting news about Louisa being baptised twice.
    Regards
    Green Family

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567