Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Henry Crompton, can't find death date

Hi all, apologies if I'm doing this wrong (I just signed up). I am tracing my family roots and am stuck on a particular family member named George Henry Crompton.

Here's what I know so far:

- My 2nd great grandfather was Robert Henry Crompton, b. 1855 in Salford just outside Manchester, UK.
    - He married a Margaret Lucas in 1877, had a son George Henry Crompton in April 1880.
    - The three of them are listed in the 1881 census record.
    - He then moved to the US (Philadelphia) in 1881 and Margaret died in 1883.
    - Robert went on to marry another woman and have a bunch of children, but there is no mention of George Henry.

The closest thing I can find is a George Henry Crompton died in Salford in December 1883, but there are no family members mentioned in the record. The age at the time of death matches when he would've been born, but this is after his family would've moved to the US.

If anyone can suggest other options I could try to find mention of George Henry, that'd be super appreciated. I tried looking for newspapers in Salford in 1883 to see if there's an obituary printed but did not find anything.

Cheers!

Famous for offering help & advice

You can try GRO.gov.uk

You can download the death cert,not sure of cost from overseas.

I think this is the death reg you referred to,it may tell who registered the death.

CROMPTON, GEORGE HENRY 3
    GRO Reference: 1883 D Quarter in SALFORD Volume 08D Page 51

George Henry Crompton was buried at Manchester General Cemetery on 24/11/1883. In the same plot (6141) is Arthur Crompton (5/02/1871), Robert Armitt, (10/03/1870), Mary Ann Armitt (06/10/1869), another Robert Armitt (11/03/1907) and James Crompton (06/08/1891)

James Crompton m Mary Ann Armitt, Salford, 1850

Are you certain your GG Grandfather had the middle name Henry, as there are two births, one in Salford with no middle name but the mother's maiden name is Armitt, whilst the other does have a middle name but isnt in Salford:

CROMPTON, ROBERT mmn ARMITT - GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in SALFORD Volume 08D Page 44
    CROMPTON, ROBERT HENRY mmn NUTTALL - GRO Reference: 1855 D Quarter in BURY LANCASHIRE Volume 08C Page 30

There is a 1923 Pennsylvania Death Certificate for Robert Crompton b 6 Jul 1855, parents James Crompton & Mary Armitt, so if this is 'your' Robert then it does look like the George Henry Crompton death & burial are correct.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hey! Yes, so the Robert Crompton that died in PA in 1923 is my GG Grandfather. Armitt is in my family, my uncle's middle name was Armitt. Thanks so much for the context! I also ordered the death certificate PDF from the GRO site.

What's interesting to me is that Robert Crompton left for the US and I guess left his son behind? Hopefully, the death cert sheds light on why that would've happened.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    George Henry Crompton was buried at Manchester General Cemetery on 24/11/1883. In the same plot (6141) is Arthur Crompton (5/02/1871), Robert Armitt, (10/03/1870), Mary Ann Armitt (06/10/1869), another Robert Armitt (11/03/1907) and James Crompton (06/08/1891)
    May I ask how you found that info? I'd love to dig through whatever resource was used for that level of detail.

Glad the information was helpful.

I got it from searching the free index below, but if you purchase a few credits then you should be able to see the actual burial/plot register.

https://www.burialrecords.manchester...GenSearch.aspx

Valued member of Brit-Gen

GRO record...Crompton George Henry mmn Lucas b J 1/4 Salford 1880.
    Last edited by pat fowles; 10-08-2019 at 4:41 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    GRO record...Crompton George Henry mmn Lucas b J 1/4 Salford 1880.
    Thanks for this. The mother was Margaret Lucas, which was Robert Crompton's first wife. Indeed the same person!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Baptism..George Henry Crompton...Born Feb 26th 1880..Baptised April 18th 1880 @ St Bartholomew, Salford..Father: Robert Crompton/Lithographic Printer..Mother: Margaret..Address: 18 ? Street.
    NB image 636.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Address: 18 ? Street.
    Belfort Street, now lost to redevelopment.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102339522

Upper central section of map; between West Craven Street and Phoebe Street and south of Robert Hall Street.

Peter