Loves to help with queries

Default Anthony Arnold (Yarnold)

I'm helping an american friend With his tree and we have got back to Anthony Arnold, b.1599, in Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire. Married to Mary (Izod), b. 1603, Stanton Parish, Glocestershire.
    We think he changed his name from Yarnold to Arnold when he arrived in America.

We believe his parents were Richard Yarnold and Neste nee Wintle. Can anyone help find out if this is correct and eventually when Anthony left England?
    I know it's a long shot but thanks in advance.

Shay

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Shay, I too have been researching Anthony Arnold born 1599 in Westbury On Severn Gloucestershire. Anthony is my daughter's 11th Great Grandfather, and I am trying to find out how and why he left England for America. I have Richard and Neste Arnold as being Anthony's parents, and both born in England. It has been rather challenging trying to find out more information about Anthony and his journey to the New World in the 1600s.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It is highly unlikely that you will ever find a definitive answer to the two questions: when did the couple go and why did they go? However, you can work out some limits to the time and the reasons. For example, who is the child of Anthony and Mary from whom you descend? Where were they born? Any other children to consider? And where were they married? Have you found a marriage? If the marriage took place in Gloucestershire, then that is an early date to consider them leaving. If some children were born in America, then their birth date is an indication of when they went.
    You haven't said where they lived, and this could be relevant. Settlers in Maryland might have had Roman Catholic origins; those in New England were more likely of Calvinist persuasion in their religion. Don't be mislead by Anglican baptisms and marriages. At that time, people had very little choice in what they did in those matters.
    As to why, you need to look at what was happening locally to where they lived. For example, the English Civil War began in 1640.Much of the West Country ( ie Gloucestershire and Wiltshire etc.) were strongly non-conformist and not necessarily Royalist in their support. So, were there pressures at home to send them away, or were there opportunities in America to pull them that way? Lots of reading ahead of you to get some sort of answers, so good luck. pwholt

Knowledgeable and helpful

It is highly unlikely that you will find definitive answers to the questions of when did they go and why did they go. However, you can work out rough time frames from where other events of their lives took place. Where were the children born? And when were they born? Given the ages of Anthony and Mary, they probably didn't marry much before 1625 when they would be 25 and 22. So, have you found the marriage in Gloucestershire? (How did you discover her maiden name?)And when did either of them die? That puts a firm limit on when they travelled if they were buried in America. Some of the answers will have to be guesses but you can make some reasonable assumptions.
    Where in America did they live? Maryland had Roman Catholic settlers: New England had the Pilgrims who were very strong Calvinists.
    To get a why did they go, consider and research what else was happening in the time frame you work out for the above. The English Civil War began in 1640, and this area and Gloucestershire were involved if only in providing foodstuffs for the various troops (for very little pay.)Good luck and happy reading. pwholt (Apologies for the double-post)