Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Biirth or baptismal record in Scotland

Dear everyone
    I wish to thank you all for your help in my previous brickwalls.

I have now come across another one. I have checked ancestry, findmypast, familysearch and scotlands people. no luck.

Annie Grieve born 1867 Midlothian.
    according to the 1871 census in Scotland, she is living with her grandmother Barbara Wilson nee Drysdale) at High School Yards, 15 Lady Yesters, Canongate, Midlothian.

but I cannot find her parents. I have tried using parents surnames as Grieve and Wilson.
    cannot seem to find her after 1871 census.

Your help would be most appreciated.
    regards
    Doreenh

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you viewed the original census image, and if so, is Annie's age clearly 4 - or another number (7 and 11 immediately spring to mind) mistranscribed? Even if it's clearly a 4, you have to bear in mind that enumerators did make mistakes when completing those schedules so the age on the original hiusehold schedule could gave been another number. (Not helpful to us, but something you have to bear in mind.)

Another possibility if you're relying on a transcribed record, is that the word'months' has been omitted from Annie's age.

Did you restrict your birth/baptism search to 1867 +/-a couple of years? If so, extend it.

Have you searched for Annie in marriages and deaths, as well as in the 1881 census? Also using variant/misspellings of Grieve such as Greave, Greive, and possibly even Grief, as well as Ann and Anne.

She might also have emigrated with her parents/parent and step-parent between 1871 and 1881.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

There a birth registration for an Ann Grieve, Canongate, 1870.

I can only view the transcribed Census details, not original. Do you have sight of the original? Could the age be "4 months"?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Further thought-

If Barbara had daughters, then one of them may have married Joe Bloggs.
    Joe died, so the daughter the married somebody Grieve.
    So you need to trace the history of the daughters of Barbara.

Just spotted that helachau has had the same thought as me about Annie's age possibly being 4 months.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Alternatively, she could have been 3 or 5, depending on whether the census was before or after her birthday. I always search census ages as +/- 2 years from children and 5 for adults.

In many cases at that time, the enumerator (could have been the parish clerk, the schoolmaster or someone similar) turned up on the doorstep and asked the questions which would generally have been answered from memory.

BTW I have noticed that message 1 only mentions the census. Do you have Annie's birth certificate. It should name her parents. Searching births ijn Midlothian that include "Ann" somewhere in the forename from 1865-1870 delivers 5 hits on SP.

Barbara's death cert should show whether she married more than once.

From FamilySearch I can see that the 1870 Newington one had parents John C Grieve and mother Ann Grieve. The other 1870 one had parents John Charles Grieve and Ann Barnett.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Dear Everyone
    yes, I always check atlast 5 years either side when looking for births and 10 years for marriages.
    I tried looking for census For annie in the 1881 and 1891 but not knowing her occupation or parents names, couldnt tell if I found the right one.
    with regard to Barbara Wilson nee Drysdale, found her daeth 1877 St. George Burg, Edinburgh. this confirmed by National archives. Also her son Thomas living with her in 1871 census. So since they were living in Lady Yesters St, and Annie was born in Lady Yesters, maybe Thomas is her father and Grieve her mothers name. will have another look for marriages for Thomas. lso daughter Mar

y was also living at same addres in 1871, so maybe annie is illegiate to Mary. will keep looking.

I have just had confirmed by Scotland National archives, that the children of John Drysdale and Christian stevenson are indeed theirs and not to another lady called christian blair or whwatever.
    once again thanks
    Doreenh