Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Deaths in Scotland

Dear everyone
    I have tried scotlands people. no luck. this website is very expensive. you cannot look at the record before buying it.

I am trying to find the date and place of death of:

John Wilson born 1802 St. Cuthberts, died bet 1857-1861.
    wie
    Barbara Wilson nee Drysdale. born 1814 St. Cuthberts, died 1872-1890

John last listed on 1851 census. occupation: cabinet maker
    Barbara last listed on 1871 census.

thankyou in advance.
    Doreenh

There is a death registered for Barbara Drysdale/Wilson on SP aged 62, 1877, St George (Edinburgh).

There are 9 possible hits for your dates for John, none in Edinburgh. Do you know his mother's maiden name?
    There is one d. 1855 in Heriot & Wariston (Eboro) and another in 1865 in St Giles (Eboro)

PS The (low compared to other sites) supports the databases and pays for more data to be added.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello
    There is also a death of a John Wilson age 57 in 1859 in Canongate Edinburgh.
    Ref 685/3 785

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Dear Lesley
    thankyou. Yes I use SCotlands people a lot, but it is expensive at £10 for 40 credts, at 6 credits per view, it does mount up.
    however, John Wilson's parents are William Wilson an Jean Jack.
    I think that grisel's answer for death in 1859 is a strong possibility, as John is not listed in the 1861 census. regards Doreenh

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    Dear Lesley
    thankyou. Yes I use SCotlands people a lot, but it is expensive at £10 for 40 credts, at 6 credits per view, it does mount up.
    however, John Wilson's parents are William Wilson an Jean Jack.
    I think that grisel's answer for death in 1859 is a strong possibility, as John is not listed in the 1861 census. regards Doreenh
    When you get the correct record, at just over £1.50 it is tremendous value for money compared to the cost of BMD certificates in England and Wales. Eleven pounds each though church records are cheaper if they're on FMP, Ancestry, and The Genealogist and you have a subscription. Scottish records usually have more information than the ones for England and Wales.
    In your case, it's just unfortunate that Wilson is one of the ten most common surnames in Scotland - I think it's actually in the top five.

And ScotlandsPeople is probably much cheaper than the cost of a flight to the UK and then accommodation, which was the only way you could have found any of the details prior to the internet. Even though I live in England, I still find my subs to the three sites mentioned very cost-effective.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam. Before SP started, I used to have to pay (and wait) for hard copies at similar prices to those of the other UK nations.