Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Marriages in Scotland

I am trying to find the marriage of:
    Agnes Wilson born 1856 St. Cuthberts (father: John Wilson, mother Barbara Drysdale)
    to
    Robert Lennox brn 1855 St. Cuthberts (father: Wiliam Lennox, mother Margaret McLaughlan).

children:
    Barbara born 1879; Maggie born 1880; Robert born 185; Agnes born 1889 and Malcolm born 1894.

they emigratd to Canada bet 1902-1911. according to emigration records, Robert was already then when wife and children arrived in 1911.

On Agnes'death in 1941, she states married.

I have tried Scotlands People looking for either Robert Lennix with wife Agnes or Agnes Wilson with husband Robert. no luck,
    thanking you
    Doreen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you got the birth certificates of the children, or at least found them on the census?
    Were they also born in St Cuthberts (district? parish?).
    If so, it's logical to assume that the marriage also took place in the same area, but 'assuming' can lead you down many a wrong path!
    Have you considered that that they may have married several years before the birth of Barbara, when they were younger, and possibly minors, and therefore married out of the St Cuthberts area?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

The date and place of their marriage should be on the birth certificates of their children, so I suggest that you get the bcert for whichever child is of most interest.

Note added later: There is a marriage certificate for Robert Lennox and Agnes Wilson in 1878 in the St George (Edinburgh) registration district.

With SP, it's best to start simple and add details if you get lots of hits. I just searched on the two surnames, gave the latest possible date as the birth year of the oldest child and the earliest as 5 years before.

Dear Pam
    with regard to birth certificates - no. I cannot find any births registered. I only found them listed on the census and immigration records to Canada and marriage cert in Canada.
    I will have another look for marriages with their ages about 16-20. I usually look around 18 yrs for marriages, but I did comes across one marriage for a relative of theirs at 14years.
    thanks
    Doreenh

Dear Lesley
    thank you for your help. I will try that way in future searches.
    Doreenh

Dear Lesley
    I am trying to find the marriage of: John Drysdale and Christian Stevenson (born 1791 Midlothian).
    John and Christian are the parents of Barbara Drysdale (to whom you have helped me before).
    other children of this marriage are:
    Ann born 1810, bapt. 10 Feb 1810 St. Cuthberts,Alexander born 2 Mar 1811, bapt 10 Mar 1811 St. Cuthberts;
    Barbara (aready mentione in prev email), Isobell born 20 Apr 1816, bapt 14 May 1816 m. James Young; Ann born Feb 1819 St. Cuthberts; agnes born 10 Oct 1823 St. Cuthberts; Eliza born 13 Apr 1826 St. Cuthberts; and John born 31 May 18312 St Cuthberts.

maybe Christian was a surname from a prev marriage, dont know. I can find marriages for a John drysdale with a Christian but not with maiden name as Stevenson. Found another lady with same details but has Blair as her surname. But when I checked the baptisms, it definitely states Stevenson.
    thanking you in advance.
    Doreenh

Christian is a variant of the forename Christine. I can't see why you think that it might be a surname.

Have you read the article that I posted about searching Church records? It's HERE.

I can't see them on Scotlands People or FamilySearch using Stevenson and Stephenson, but not all of the marriage registers from other denominations are there, just most of them. You could check the relevant parish on GENUKI.org.uk and see whether they say that marriage registers for possible parishes still exist. They were not always in the same book as the baptisms, and some got lost - I'm missing an ancestral Kirrimuir marriage for that very reason.
    There was also a period (when should be in my article) when couples had to pay extra for an entry in the register and couldn't afford it. As far as the Kirk was concerned, it was the marriage that was important, not the entry. All those children would not have been routinely baptised if the parents didn't have their "marriage lines".

Dear Lesley
    my apologies. I meant Stevenson as a prev married name not Christian.
    thank you
    Doreenh