Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Where Is The Mouse?

Hello,

My first post. Hope someone can help.

I had a relative called Charles Nurse who drowned on 1 May 1878 from a ship called "Union". His body washed up on Foulness Beach and he was buried on 5th June 1878 at St Mary's Church, Foulness, Essex. It said on his burial record: "Picked up on the sands, drowned". My relative lived at Blakeney, Norfolk, England and was born at Titchwell, Norfolk, England. On his paper work it says he drowned "off The Mouse". Can anyone tell me whereabouts The Mouse was/is?
    Last edited by HoratiaNelson; 31-07-2019 at 1:24 PM. Reason: extra info

Knowledgeable and helpful

In this title two maps, 242 and 259, are printed side by side, covering the area of eastern Essex from Clacton and Mersea Island southward to Foulness Island and Havengore Head. Beyond the coast are the Maplin Sands and other sandbanks, guarded by the Mouse and Middle lightships

The above quote is from an ad for a 1904 map of the Foulness area. The Mouse would appear to have been a sandbank with a lighthouse as warning.

Emeltee

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    In this title two maps, 242 and 259, are printed side by side, covering the area of eastern Essex from Clacton and Mersea Island southward to Foulness Island and Havengore Head. Beyond the coast are the Maplin Sands and other sandbanks, guarded by the Mouse and Middle lightships

The above quote is from an ad for a 1904 map of the Foulness area. The Mouse would appear to have been a sandbank with a lighthouse as a warning.

Emeltee
    Many thanks, Emeltee for your speedy response. Good to have the problem solved

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

Newcastle Courant, 2 May 1878

"The schooner Union, of and for Blakeney from London, with patent manure, was sunk at one o'clock yesterday morning, near the Mouse light vessel by the screw steamer Sherburn ...."

The inquest on 14 Jun stated " ...run down in the Swin near the Mouse light ship ..."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

https://newspapers.library.wales/vie.../54/casualties

Clicking on above shd. zoom in on specific item. If not, check column 2, Shipping Intelligence.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks helachau. I downloaded the article shipping intelligence and now I know what the Union was carrying. Thanks for your help