Knowledgeable and helpful

Default You don't need to post a request for help

I am researching one of the twigs on a cousin's family.
    From the 1871 and 1881 census returns I discovered Samuel was a Policeman in Cheshire.
    I wondered how I could find out about his service history.
    So I checked the Forum, Occupations, Policeman and started reading the posts.
    I soon found one from LynneOz regarding the Cheshire Constabulary. In her post I noticed the words "Police Archives" so I Googled that and discovered a "Tome" listing all the Police Forces in the UK with descriptions of their holdings etc.
    So I entered Cheshire Constabulary and found the Police Museum.
    Entering Samuel's name I discovered there were archived records for him so I submitted a request for a copy of them.
    Within 24 hours I received a response outlining the records thay were available and they would be amde available to me for a small donation.
    Less than a week later a package arrived (by email) and to my mind the information I received was worth far more than the small donation.
    Reading through the information I discovered Samuel's father's name and occupation ( a Farmer).
    So off to FMP's census holdings and quickly brought up the 1851 return (transcription to begin with). I had a smile when I noticed three servants on the farm transcribed as "Prisoner Chelsea Hospital" - the image had them as 'Pensioners".
    Not yet finished through FamilySearch and LancashireOPC I managed to get a further two generations.

The above may be long winded but the point of this post is that just reading other members posts can often give help in furthering our research.

David

Wow David what a fantastic success story and all started because you thought outside the square!
    Great stuff.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs