Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas EYRL

Default Thomas EYRL

Hi All,

After some years trying to get somewhere with this, I felt it time to post to a forum in the hope that someone has some information we don't have, or can find some.

My family and I have been researching the EYRL family tree for some years now. We've gotten all the way back to a Thomas Eyrl of Thrussington, Leicestershire, who married Francis Wells in 1779. We cannot, however, find any information on the origin of Thomas Eyrl; he just sort of appeared from nowhere.
    There is a record on Familysearch.org of the Baptism of Sarah Eyrl in 1785 in London, to a Thomas and Rebecca, but unless he was living a double life, this seems unrelated.

I have found some evidence on Familysearch of some Eyrls in Sileby, born to a Samuel Eyrl in the years around 1779, but no Thomas. My father said when he did his initial research at the record office that some Eyrls became Eyrls, rather than Earls, when they moved from Sileby to Thrussington, but the information on Familysearch seems to contradict this.

Anyway, thanks for reading and any assitance would be very gratefully received.
    Dave

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Dave,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Reading your post my first thought was 'have you considered Earl as an alternative spelling', but you seem to have done that. (There's also consider Earle, Eyrle, Erl, Erle, or the possibility of any of the letters being mis-transcribed, e.g. Egel.)

Next thought/question is, have you gone (page by page) through the parish registers of Thrussington, Sileby, and all the surrounding villages? Thrussington PRs are available on Findmypast (FMP). Haven't checked for other places and the years available for them. Depending on how near to the county border those villages are, you might need to consider other counties as well.

Transcripts are all very well, but they can be unreliable, especially ones done years ago when people were more likely to put their own interpretation on a name rather than using today's more usual 'write what you see'. Plus, you do become better at transcribing the more experience you have. I well remember in my early days making five errors in seven entries (found when I re-visited my work several years later).

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

It's an assumption that your family name originated in or around Leicestershire.

People traveled much further afield than is thought.

I have one relative, who was born, 1681 in Westminister, London, and ended up in Filby in Norfolk. and dies there, in 1711.

Married in Scratby,Norfolk,1708.

As said, variations of surname are many. Do not rely on FamilySearch for all your answers. They haven't, and never will...have all the records that you require. As for the trees on FS....some are sourced from FS, and some are mythical. Take with a pinch of salt.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Have you got thie burial record which gives an indication to approx when he was born.

Thomas Eyrl Apr 5th 1835 age 74, Thrussington.
    Alma

Thank you very much for your reply Pam
    I have indeed searched for any combination I could think of that's close to the spelling and haven't come up with anything, although your tip regarding mistranscription is a good one and something I need to try!
    It was my father who did the original research at Leicestershire records office and I do believe he went through at least Thrussington and neighbouring Rearsby's register thoroughly, but I'll need to check whether he did Sileby.
    Thanks again, we have a little more to go on now.

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    It's an assumption that your family name originated in or around Leicestershire.

People traveled much further afield than is thought.

I have one relative, who was born, 1681 in Westminister, London, and ended up in Filby in Norfolk. and dies there, in 1711.

Married in Scratby,Norfolk,1708.

As said, variations of surname are many. Do not rely on FamilySearch for all your answers. They haven't, and never will...have all the records that you require. As for the trees on FS....some are sourced from FS, and some are mythical. Take with a pinch of salt.

Steve.
    Thanks stepives. There are Eyrls in the Tyrol area of Northern Italy, but perhaps it'd be a step to far to hope we're related to Baron Carl von Eyrl

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Have you got thie burial record which gives an indication to approx when he was born.

Thomas Eyrl Apr 5th 1835 age 74, Thrussington.
    Yes, I believe my Dad found that record and it is approx 1761.

One other thing that springs to mind, in case it helps, is that we know Thomas was a framework knitter.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobmonkhouse View Post
    One other thing that springs to mind, in case it helps, is that we know Thomas was a framework knitter.
    https://www.frameworkknittersmuseum.org.uk/

Nottinghamshire.....next door to Liecestershire.??

https://www.frameworkknitters.co.uk/company-heritage/

https://www.knittingtogether.org.uk/i...try-1589-1750/
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Might be worth a visit, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast