Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pepefe21

Default Seeking Jacobs in London

I am looking for Hyman Jacobs after 1861 Census, could anyone find him?
    Also I believe Isaac & Hyman are brothers, I need to confirm this
    Which Rebecca/Rebekah Jacobs lived with Philip Jacobs at 14 Artillery Passage? Rebecca daughter of Hyman or John Jacobs (son of Hyman & Harriett) wife?

1861 Census: 10 Hutchinson Ave, St Botolph
    Hyman Jacobs Head age 27 Glazier Born Poland
    Harriett Jacobs wife age 28 born Poland
    Rebecca Jacobs dau 10 months Born Aldgate St Botolph

1861 Census No 9 Hutchinson Ave St Botolph
    Isaac Jacobs head married age 30 tailor born Poland
    Esther Jacobs wife married age 26 born Poland
    Elizabeth Jacobs dau age 6 born St Botolph
    Jacob Jacobs son age 4 scholar born St Botolph
    Simon Jacobs 18m born St Botolph
    Hannah Jacobs serv unm age 20 domestic Servant born Poland (Sister to Isaac & Hyman?)

1871 Census City of London
    Isaac Jacobs age 41 Tailor b Poland
    Esther Jacobs age 40 b Poland
    Betty Jacobs age 16 b Whitechapel
    Jacob Jacobs age 14 ". "
    Simon Jacobs age 12 ". "
    Marks Jacobs age 10". "
    Milly Jacobs age 5. ". "
    Deborah Jacobs age 2 ". "
    Samuel Jacobs age 1. ". "

1881 Census At George in the East

Isaac Jacobs age 50 Tailor b Poland
    Esther Jacobs age 50 b Poland
    Marks Jacobs age 19 b London
    Amelia Jacobs age 15 b "
    Dora Jacobs age 13 b. "
    Sammy Jacobs age 11 b "
    Fanny Jacobs age 8 b. "
    Mosy Jacobs age 6 b "
    Henry Jacobs age 4 b. "
    Henrietta Seeley age 16 b London Servant.

Marriage July 2nd 1883 of John Jacobs (son of Hyman) and Rebecca/Rebekah (aka Adelaide nee Winslow).
    John Jacobs son of Hyman & Harriett Jacobs of 2 Raymore Place, Heneage Street London, Father Hyman occupation not given.
    Adelaide Winslow (aka Rebecca)
    dau of William & Elizabeth Winslow, of 14 Artillery Passage, London. Married John Jacobs son of Hyman & Harriett (Michla) Jacobs

This is all the information I have other than Hyman & Isaac's father may be Jacob Jacobs.

The link to Artillery passage is quite interesting as a Philip Jacobs owned 14 Artillery passage. Could Rebecca/Rebekah have either worked or lived at this address and as she was marrying John Jacobs son of Hyman, which could be a relative of Philip Jacobs, and was allowed to stay at 14 Artillery Passage or was it Hyman's daughter Rebecca who lived with Philip?

Famous for offering help & advice

In 1871 at 16 Artillery Passage:

Hanah Jacobs 41 b Poland
    Rebbeca Jacobs 10 b City of London
    Jacob Jacobs 9 City of London

Possible death for Hyman:
    JACOBS, HYAM aged 30 GRO Reference: 1864 J Quarter in EAST LONDON Volume 01C Page 6

Birth registrations for Rebecca & Jacob?

JACOBS, REBECCA mmn FRIEDMAN GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in EAST LONDON Volume 01C Page 11
    JACOBS, JACOB mmn FRIEDMAN GRO Reference: 1861 D Quarter in EAST LONDON Volume 01C Page 15

Dundee10

There are several other JACOBS/FREIDMAN births registered besides Rebecca in 1860 - Leah (1858), Sarah (1859), both possibly died in 1859, Jacob (1861) and Louis (1863). All births registered in East London except for Louis which was in Whitechapel. HYMAN/HYAM possibly died in 1864.

As John was aged 22 when he married in 1883 then he is probably Jacob.

Hyam and Harriet's marriage cert should tell you who his father was.

Quote Originally Posted by pepefe21 View Post
    Which Rebecca/Rebekah Jacobs lived with Philip Jacobs at 14 Artillery Passage? Rebecca daughter of Hyman or John Jacobs (son of Hyman & Harriett) wife?
    Where are you seeing Rebecca living with Philip?

A tree on Ancestry suggests that Jacob Jacobs is later known as John, and is the person who married Adelaide Winslow.

It also shows Harriet/Hanah as Hannah Ann Harriet Friedman

pepefe21

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    There are several other JACOBS/FREIDMAN births registered besides Rebecca in 1860 - Leah (1858), Sarah (1859), both possibly died in 1859, Jacob (1861) and Louis (1863). All births registered in East London except for Louis which was in Whitechapel. HYMAN/HYAM possibly died in 1864.

As John was aged 22 when he married in 1883 then he is probably Jacob.

Hyam and Harriet's marriage cert should tell you who his father was.

Where are you seeing Rebecca living with Philip?

Thank you.
    I found Rebecca on 1819 Post Office directly.

pepefe21

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A tree on Ancestry suggests that Jacob Jacobs is later known as John, and is the person who married Adelaide Winslow.

It also shows Harriet/Hanah as Hannah Ann Harriet Friedman
    Could you tell me if the person on
    Ancestry is Fianna2001. If it is could you let her know that we are searching the same family. My email is pepefe21AThotmailDOTcom.
    Last edited by christanel; 28-07-2019 at 8:41 PM. Reason: email disguised to deter spam

The person whose tree I was referring to is not Fianna2001, but gclarke4

pepefe21

So there are two? Wooh!
    Thank you anyway.

I have been away so have not responded to this thread until now. Philip Jacobs of 14 Artillery Passage is a relative of mine. He is the brother of Henry Jacobs my 4x great grandfather and their father was David Jacobs aka Letson aka Lietzin my 5x great grandfather. For those who have followed my posts on this forum they will be aware that I have posted significant data on my Jacobs glass manufacturers/dealers/cutters/engravers.
    In addition, my cousins and I have a Jacobstree website which contains a wide range of records built up over many years. This data includes Philip Jacobs. Philip b abt 1771 died 1845.He was at 14 Artillery Passage from at least 1814-1821 and later at Crown Street.
    We do not know the name of his wife. What we do know is that our Jacobs were in the glass trade with others moving into other trades such as butcher. All this is on our website.

Please take a close look on our Jacobs tree website the Home of the Jacobs family data base. Come back to me if you need help. Our Jacobs aka Letson aka Lietzin appear in numbers of Synagogue and other records and we believe that they originated from West Prussia or surrounding areas.

Later Jacobs in the glass trade may not be our relatives and the the only association is through the commonality of the last name Jacobs.

Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

In #5 of this thread reference was made to a Rebecca Jacobs in 1819 PO Directory with the inference that she is living with Philip Jacobs at 14 Artillery Passage. I would greatly appreciate if the full record was posted. At present, I can see no Rebecca Jacobs at the address for the time period but may have overlooked it. What I can see on the PO Directory Records is Philip Jacobs 1815 Glass Cutter 14 Artillery Passage Bishopsgate and in 1820 Philip Jacobs and Son 14 Artillery Passage.
    As I said in my previous post my cousins have researched these lines in great detail and the information is on our Jacobstree website. The later Jacobs including those that married into the Winslow/Friedman et al are not our relatives.

Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast