Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pepefe21

Hi
    Recently I have found more information on my Jacobs family. I have learnt that Hyman/Hyam Jacobs arrived with his brother Isaac,wives plus children from Rosse,Poland (Prussia)in 1857. However Hyman/Hyam died age 30 in 1864 leaving his wife Hannah Ann Harriet Jacobs nee Friedman(n). They married at the Great Synagogue in 1857. This left Hannah to bring up 5 children on her own. I believe at this point she moved to 16 Artillery Lane. I still maintain that Hannah's daughter Rebecca or John Jacobs wife Rebecca/Rebekah worked in some capacity for Philip Jacobs (listed Post office 1819) . Hannah is listed as a work women.
    It is there son Jacob (later John) married Adelaide Winslow (who changed her name to Rebekah/Rebecca) married 2 July 1883 Parish church,Parish of Christ Church.
    Until I can research more on the working connection between Philip Jacob & Rebecca/Rebekah Jacobs. I will continue with the information I have.
    The family has always maintained that 'our' Jacobs were from Prussia, oh & incidentally Hyman Jacobs was a Glazier (working with glass!!)
    Regards
    Pauline

pepefe21

I have found the marriage certifate of Jacob (John) Jacobs to Rebecca/Rebekah Winslow (Adelaide) on the marriage certificate I see that Rebecca/Rebekah gives her home address as 14 Artillery Lane. I have the document but cannot find away of uploading it to this website.
    Regards Pauline Wheller

Pauline
    As a help Philip Jacobs let out 14 Artillery Passage as tenements in 1824. He did not live at the address but was at 22 Earl St Crown St Finsbury in 1835 and his son Henry at 14 Mansell St in 1834 and 1841 64 Crown St. Philip was dead by 1845 and his son Henry died in 1862.Prior to that date Henry had been a bankrupt.My Jacobs family by this date had largely moved away from the glass trade. It appears likely that your Jacobs were renting property at the Artillery Passage address but this was not owned by that date by my Jacobs.
    Have you had the chance to look at the Jacobstree website? You will be able to see the various addresses where the Jacobs leased or had freehold on the properties.
    Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Looking at the ages of Harriet b 1833 and Hannah b 1841- Philip Jacobs died in 1845 which suggests that Harriet would have been 11 years old and Hannah not yet born. It is possible that Harriet may have worked for Henry Jacobs until his death in 1862 but not for Philip who was already dead. You need to identify who leased the 14 Artillery Passage property and the other 16 Artillery Lane address.

I will take a look for these addresses.
    Phillip

Pauline
    If you look on the National Archives UK records data base under the addresses 14 Artillery Passage; 14 Artillery Lane; 16 Artillery Lane you will see the names of those who insured the properties.In the case of Philip Jacobs the date ends circa 1824 for 14 Artillery Passage. There are Thomas and Mary Kent 1830-36 at 16 Artillery Lane and Dinah Wood at 14 Artillery Lane in 1841.
    You can cross check my Jacobs on JewishGen UK Data base under London Insurance Policies and under Philip Jacobs and his son Henry plus see Henry in the 1851 Anglo Jews Data base. Similarly, see Synagogue and Cemetery Scribes websites for data on my Jacobs lines which my cousin Dave Simpson has contributed to plus me.
    As you may know Jews did not have surnames until they were imposed circa late 1790s in Europe but many adopted last names for a wide variety of reasons. My Jacobs adopted the tribal or patronymic last name but if you look on Synagogue Scribes records you will see Letson aka Litzen as a last name. This appears to be a place name in Prussia.

Phillip

Pauline
    In #1 of this thread you have Rebecca Jacobs in 1861 census age 10 mths. Then you have her marrying John Jacobs in 1883 with the address 14 Artillery Passage and parents William and Elizabeth Winslow.

The problem is that some 20 years previously Philip Jacobs was dead and then by 1862 his son Henry was dead.
    In addition, Philip Jacobs was no longer at the 14 Artillery Passage because the lease was not renewed post 1824.

All you have got is a family living at the same address in 1883 as my Philip Jacobs in 1824 but my Jacobs were not at that address post that date. It is not possible for your Rebecca Jacobs aka Adelaide Winslow to have worked for my Philip Jacobs because she was only 1-2 years old when Henry Jacobs died and the business did not continue.

My apologies if I have misread your posts data but based on what you state you can see that the only commonality with my people is the same surname and an address which pre dated Rebecca by some 20+years.

My lines were already in London circa 1770s whereas your people from what you say arrived circa 1850s.

Phillip

Pauline
    Please look carefully at the will of Philip Jacobs died 1845 in which he names his properties-5,6,7 Petticoat Lane; Deveraux? St James Dukes Place; ..? plus another. None of the addresses are at Artillery Passage or Artillery Lane. Philip was at 64 Crown Street in the 1841 Census-
    HO107 70 6 10 12 198 (Crown Copyright TNA)
    Philip Jacobs 70 Glass Manufacturer Y born in county
    Elizabeth Jacobs 40 Y
    David Jacobs 15 Y
    Rachel Jacobs 15 Y
    Leah Jacobs 14 Y
    +2 servants

Based on the Insurance Records, Probate, Census Philip Jacobs did not own/trade from/live at Artillery Passage by the time of his death in 1845 and your people were not in London pre 1850s.

Phillip

This is the GRO Marriage Certificate for John Jacobs=Rebekah Winslow in 1883.
    This is a Church of England Marriage not Jewish.
    Parish Church Southwark Spitalfields Middlesex
    July 2 1883
    JOHN JACOBS 22 Bachelor Sugar Refiner 2 Raymond Place Heneage St-father Hyman Jacobs (no details of occupation or whether deceased)
    REBEKAH WINSLOW Spinster 21 14 Artillery Passage father William WINSLOW Engineer
    Witnesses Thomas Houghton;Emily Johnson

This marriage indicates John married out of the Jewish faith but also confirms Rebekah was born circa 1861-2 long after the death of Philip Jacobs and only 1-2 years old when Philip's son Henry died in 1862 and some 37 years after Philip Jacobs left 14 Artillery Passage.

Phillip

The only Adelaide Winslow I can currently find (I also looked for Rebekah Winslow using the Ancestry.Co derivations of spellings) is 1871 (Copyright TNA) RG10 440 9 11
    73 Long Alley St.Leonards Shoreditch
    WILLIAM WINSLOW H M 34 Gas Porter b Shoreditch
    Elizabeth wife 31 shoe binder b Shoreditch
    John son 15 rivetter b City of London
    ADELAIDE dau 9 scholar b Shoreditch

I can find no Adelaide/Rebekah Winslow post 1871 but there is a William Winslow in 1881 Census who may or may not be the father of Adelaide.
    Key question- Why did Adelaide marry as Rebekah?

1881 (Copyright TNA)RG11 383 66 30
    8 Hearn St St.Leonards Shoreditch
    William Winslow H M 45 Labourer Engineer b Middx Finsbury
    Mary wife 44 b Lon..shore??
    Mary A Dau 8 Middx b Shoreditch
    Joseph son 3 b Middx Shoreditch
    +1 lodger

Is the above a second marriage?

The above addresses if they are for Rebekah aka Adelaide are totally different locations from 14 Artillery Passage and indicate that Rebekah had relocated at the time of her marriage.Again, the addresses including the later 1883 address of 14 Artillery Passage have no connection to my Jacobs beyond the same Artillery Passage address of 1824 but no later and re- emphasises that this Rebekah was not even born until circa 1860-2.

Phillip

Here are 2 names of those living at 14 Artillery Passage post Jacobs-J Schneiders and Co Pastrycooks and Confectioners Jewish Chronicle April 1848; A Cohen clothier 1865-1866 British Newspaper Archives. Later by 1899 Joseph Mitchell Hyams husband of Annette Sarah Hyams 14 Artillery Passage and 44 Artillery Lane 1899-Jewish Chronicle.

As previously posted my Jacobs were not at this address when Philip Jacobs died in 1845.

Phillip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12