Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Chris, thanks yes I have his death certificate but no parents names as the family were clearly not told, or made aware of his background. This death certificate also stated he was born in Mansfield Nottingham, probably due to the shipping record, which is clearly misinformation. It is difficult to find your way through the myths and legends to support your argument that is for sure. I will get there and thanks again for all your assistance.

Hi Lyn,

I'm wondering how certain you are that both the 1841 and 1851 census are for the same person, if I have the correct 1841 with Richard, Mary and 10yr old Phoebe (HO107; Piece: 1142; Book: 5; Folio: 49; Page: 23) Richard is 15 in 1841 and 19 in 1851. There are often discrepancies for ages from one census to another but I would expect a young person living with family to have a correct, or very near correct age listed.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you ruled out any connection to the Richard Wallis who married Ellen Parkin in 1853 in Mansfield?

Hi Alma
    I am only certain as much as I can be as Richard was born in Bromsgrove (1841) where he should have been 10 and his sister Phoebe should have been 15. I wondered whether the enumerator had transposed the ages as on the page in question the enumerator annotated the male line as 10 to start for the girl and then crossed it out and put 15 from memory. There was only one other Richard Wallis born in 1831 in the Midlands area but I have traced that family and that Richard Wallis was still on the census records after my Richard Wallis had emigrated so I eliminated that family. Could the enumerators have got the ages mixed up or not?

No, thanks for that. I have only recently been advised by someone else that there could have been another marriage by Richard before he came to NZ. I will follow that lead up now thank you.

Hi, can you steer me in the right direction please as to where I might find this marriage as I can't locate it on FreeREG. thanks Lyn

Famous for offering help & advice

It doesnt seem to be online so you would neeed to buy the certificate from the GRO

Jul-Sep 1853 Mansfield 7b 108

I have assumed that the bride is Ellen Parkin as there births in Mansfield to Lakin/Franks, the other surnames on that page.

Hi, thanks yes I can see it on the Ancestry.com site for Civil registrations. charge is 25 Pounds. On the FreeREG site I can order a PDF copy for about 7 pounds. shame its not on that site yet. Appreciate your help. Lyn

I found it directly on the GRO site for 11 pounds so have ordered the marriage certificate. thanks, Lyn

If Richard Wallis did marry Ellen Parkin in 1853, could he divorce in the UK at that time? On his shipping register in 1858 he states he was a single man. He married the following year in NZ and on his marriage registration it also states single man (not widow, or divorced etc). Bigamy perhaps? I can't locate a death notice for Ellen Wallis before 1858.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast