Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle03 View Post
    When my father was alive we were still in touch with the Canadian side of the family, some of whom had moved to Vancouver. One of the names I have is Margaret Elizabeth Sumner living in Onterio. As she doesn’t show up on the 1911 census, I am unsure if she is Janes sister or a sister in-law?

Apologies if I am sending everyone on a wild goose chase.

If it is my family any information would be welcome.
    Margaret Elizabeth Sumner is unlikely to be the sister of Jane, the daughter of Frederick and Jane as there is a Margaret in the form of Maggie, your grandmother, already in the family.
    She also can't be the sister of Jane, Frederick's wife, unless she by coincidence also married a Sumner. (Two sisters have been known to have married two brothers, so it might have happened.) Alternatively Margaret Elizabeth, maiden surname unknown, could have married a Sumner relative of Frederick, or even (just to totally complicate matters!) just someone with the Sumner surname.
    Is Sumner Margaret's married surname? And do you have any idea of when she might have been born?

To save anyone else searching for them, census references are:
    1911 - RG14PN23059 SN71 Living Upholland, Lancashire.
    1901 - RG13/3569 folio 29 page 12. Living Upholland, Lancashire. Frederick aged 36.
    1891 - RG12/3066 folio 27 page 13. Living Upholland, Lancashire. Frederick aged 27, born Bury.
    Also with them is Thomas Mayor, aged 31, almost certainly Jane's brother.

1881 - Think this is Fredrick, aged 17, born Bolton, listed as nephew in the household of James and Margaret Sumner. RG12/3782 folio 39 page 17. Living in Upholland.

1871 - Possibly Frederick, aged 7, scholar, born Bolton Little (sic), living in the Bolton Union Workhouse, Farnworth, Bolton. RG10/3919 folio 153 page 22. Surname indexed on Findmypast as Simmer.

It's slightly confusing regarding Jane Mayor in the 1881 census.
    In one of the later census, her birthplace is given as Lathom, so I think this is her in 1881.
    RG11/3782 folio 37 page 13. Aged 17, domestic servant, born Lathom, living in Ormskirk Road, Upholland. (Just along/across the road from Fredsrick.)

There is another Jane Mayor, but aged 15, living in Lathom, though her birthplace is given as Halsall.

Eh, you have to love your relatives, most of whom couldn't lie straight in bed.|

1871 census has the Jane Mayor born Halsall likely living in Halsall.

Meanwhile, the one who said she was born in Lathom in 1881 seems to be still living in Ormskirk Road, Upholland in 1871. Aged 7, and born in Upholland. (Which would agree with her birthplace in the 1911 census.
    1871 - RG10/3897 folio 33 page 7, (Jane is on the next page.)
    Father Hugh Mayor, aged 36, name matches that in Jane's marriage certificate.

Lancashire OPC have the details of the marriage of Hugh Mayor and Elizabeth Rimmer in 1858.
    FMP has the parish register entry, and probably has the registers for baptisms, marriages and burials of most of the other entries on Lancs OPC.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your mails.

Yes, I had realised that some of the messages were quite old. I think there are probably still family in UpHolland, Lancs. But also know there are family in Canada, I went to visit them in 1978. They were the children of Margaret Elizabeth Sumner (Nee Pilkington born 1 June 1902) and had moved over to Vancouver.

I have figure from family correspondent that Margaret Elizabeth Sumner was my father’s aunt through marriage. I have an invitation to her 80th birthday party that was sent to my father. It was at the Holy Cross Church, Elm St, Hamilton Rd, London, Ontario dated 5 June 1982. The children hosting it were Joan (she was my father’s cousin I can remember that), Fred, Jack, Marg, Tom and Pat. from London Ontario.

I also think that Thomas Mayor who was living with Fredrick and Jane (1911 census) was an illegitimate son, he was recorded as a son not a brother. As Jane maiden name was Mayor.

My grandmother’s Christian name was Meggie (as per my father’s baptism cert.) not Margaret.

Anyhow it has given me a start and I can work my way back. I agree there is a lot of information on this site that people have already researched.

Strange it was my mother’s parents (Moore and Dempsey) that I originally wanted to research and seem to be finding out most about my paternal grandmother’s side. Which is good as I want to research all of them. So, thank you all for your help and tips if I find anything further, I will post it.

I must say I don't find this the easiest site to navigate.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley, I seem to have lost your reply (still cant find my way around this site). I though it was rude of me not to say thank you for your reply.

Yes, I had realised that some of the messages were quite old. I think there are probably still family in UpHolland, Lancs. But also know there are family in Canada, I went to visit them in 1978. They were the children of Margaret Elizabeth Sumner (Nee Pilkington born 1 June 1902) and had moved over to Vancouver.

I have figure from family correspondent that Margaret Elizabeth Sumner was my father’s aunt through marriage. I have an invitation to her 80th birthday party that was sent to my father. It was at the Holy Cross Church, Elm St, Hamilton Rd, London, Ontario dated 5 June 1982. The children hosting it were Joan (she was my father’s cousin I can remember that), Fred, Jack, Marg, Tom and Pat. from London Ontario.

I also think that Thomas Mayor who was living with Fredrick and Jane (1911 census) was an illegitimate son, he was recorded as a son not a brother. As Jane maiden name was Mayor.

My grandmother’s Christian name was Meggie (as per my father’s baptism cert.) not Margaret.

Anyhow it has given me a start and I can work my way back. I agree there is a lot of information on this site that people have already researched.

Strange it was my mother’s parents (Moore and Dempsey) that I originally wanted to research and seem to be finding out most about my paternal grandmother’s side. Which is good as I want to research all of them. So, thank you all for your help and tips if I find anything further, I will post it.

That is if I ever figure out how the site works. I seem to have lost the thread, the original mails I send and the replies.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle03 View Post
    Hi Lesley, I seem to have lost your reply (still cant find my way around this site). I though it was rude of me not to say thank you for your reply.

[snipped most of message]

That is if I ever figure out how the site works. I seem to have lost the thread, the original mails I send and the replies.
    As you managed to post in the thread, which has all your messages, plus all the replies posted, you can't have lost the thread.
    Just scroll up the page from your reply, and everything is there.

One little hint. You can change your settings so that you see 40 messages per page - handy when, as with this thread, you have a lot of replies.
    At the top of the page there's a blue banner. Click on the 'forum actions' link, and then select 'general settings'.
    Then scroll down the page until you see 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page:' and from the drop-down menu select 40.

Just to clarify - when you talk about 'mails' what exactly do you mean? As far as I know, you can't send an email to another forum member unless they've put their email address in one of their posts. Did you mean a private message, or did you just mean a post in this thread? (See post #58 - the number is found in the top right-hand corner of the message box.)

Ah, sudden thought! Did you by any chance click on the 'contact us' button, found in the banner at the bottom of the page? If so, that message will only go to Admin who won't have a clue what you're talking about.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Helen, the forum shows messages in the order they come in. You haven’t lost my message, it’s number #60. If you look bottom right in the message, it offers you previous pages.

Hi

I can find only one Elizabeth Sumner that was in the Prestwich Asylum, she entered the asylum 18th June 1863 and was in the Hospital, she was a single woman and was born in 1818 age 45, and she did not leave and died in there on the 20th September 1867

Edd

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567