Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default FREDERICK E SPENCER-b.1882ENGLAND 2 SO.AFRICA

Does anyone out there have ANY Info on a gentleman named FREDERICK ERNEST SPENCER, who was b. 1882 in Droxford, Hampshire, England, & emigrated to Cape Town, So. Africa (I don't know what year he did this), dying there in 1950?
    Seek to know...1) names of his parents, 2)if any siblings & their info, 3) did he have kids, & if so, their names/dates.
    I believe he is the Frederick Ernest Spencer who married Georgina (nee Duckman) Brooks, in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England in 1903.
    I have his birth registration record, his marriage record & his death record--but can't find anything else---hence my questions, above.
    According to his So. African death certificate, his career was as a self-employed nurseryman (landscaper?), and was also a British Naval pensioner. Where to look for records on those issues would be welcome, too!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice one could provide!
    Gratefully,
    Vienna (Spencer)

Famous for offering help & advice

parents William Spencer who married Mary GIBBS at Droxford in 1880.

sister Florence Mary Spencer born Droxford 1885

Starting to feel at home

Wow! That was Fast!! Thank you ever so much, wimsey!
    take care,
    vienna

Famous for offering help & advice

another sibling

William Harry Spencer born Droxford 1881

Reputation beyond repute

Be aware that the GRO birth index that you have been looking at is simply an index to help you to order a birth certificate which contains the full and accurate details.

The National Archives catalogue entry for his service record appears to be
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D7143649

The catalogue provides a link to obtain a copy of the full record.

The catalogue gives his date and place of birth as 10 Jan 1881 at Bishop Waltham. There's an obvious discrepancy there which you should be able to resolve by obtaining a copy of the service record and the birth certificate.

There is a public tree on ancestry which has sources for this man, his wife and children but they have his wife as Marjorie Muriel Vigurs - birth 6 May 1896 death 27 June 1984 on the Isle of Wight, Hampshire.
    On his probate record Gladys Mabel Marjorie Bryant. wife of Ernest James Bryant is granted probate. Frederick E's address is given as 8 Wade Lane Havant Hampshire but he died at Groot Schuur Hospital South Africa.
    Gladys is Frederick's daughter born 1917 died 1998.
    They also had another daughter Joan K Spencer. She married a Henry W Grimes in 1944 and died in Sussex 1965.
    If you use FreeBMD you may be able to find the births of their child(ren).
    Frederick's form of information of death is on ancestry but doesn't name wife or children.
    ancestry.com has free library versions. your local library may have it so you can see his service record, probate and death record along with census and 1939 register for yourself and maybe get in touch with the family tree owner.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The Georgina Matilda Brooks on the 1903 marriage record married Henry William Duckman and is with him and their 5 year old daughter Elsie, in the 1911 census. They are also on the 1939 register.
    The Frederick E Spencer on the 1903 marriage record must have married Harriet Webb, the other female on the entry
    Christina
    William Burroughs

On the same page FreeBMD
    Frederick Spencer (no middle initial 'e') and Marjorie M Vigurs, Sept 1/4 1914 registration district Dover vol 2a page 2456.

The 1911 census has a Frederick E Spencer on the Royal Navy - Australia and South Africa - Vessels records. Age 30, Leading Seaman, born Bishops Waltham Hampshire, MARRIED.
    So is this your Frederick E who didn't marry until 1914?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

1939 register
    Frederick E Spencer born 10 Jan 1881 (birth reg is March 1/4 1882)
    Address - Sea View Nurseries Havant and Waterlooville, Hampshire
    Occupation - Market Gardener

ancestry has the wrong image for this record and findmypast doesn't even bring up a record using the criterai from ancestry so I can't see if he and Marjorie are together. Ah just found him on FMP transcribed as Piner! Don't have a sub so can't look at the original image.

England, United Grand Lodge of England Freemason Membership Registers, 1751-1921

Frederick Ernest Spencer
    Initiation Age = 39
    Born about 1882
    Initiation Date - 7 June 1921
    First Payment Year on Register - 1921
    Profession - P.O. 1St Class
    Lodge - United Service Lodge, Portsmouth
    Lodge Number - 1428
    Folio Number - 148
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

THANK YOU ALL!! MY GOODNESS WHAT FABULOUS RESEARCHERS YOU ALL ARE!! Partly you understand the British system of records & archives better than myself, an American, so I thank you, profusely!!! This is all great info! I shall attempt to carry-on, from here, using all your tips & see what else I might find. Would love to go backwards on his line, from his father to his grandpa, etc., on the Spencer side--see where it leads. Wouldn't it be lovely if every human from the past came with a photo, or prior to photography, had a sketched or painted image of themselves we could see? Just wishful thinking....but again, many many thanks of gratitude for ALL the info each of you has discovered on Frederick & his family!! Am amazed & very pleased! Vienna (Spencer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast