Thread: Tree of Life

Red face Tree of Life

Fellow genealogy enthusiasts,

I am so pleased to have stumbled across this website although, given the name, a little embarrassed not to have found it sooner. I have dabbled on ancestry.co.uk for the past 7 years and feel that I'd really like to delve a bit deeper now. The timing coincides with starting my own little business illustrating family trees. I would very much like a complete and accurate (as possible) tree to illustrate and gift to my Granddad. For those interested, here is a short insight into my passion for genealogy.

My first knowledge of a family tree comes from my earliest childhood memories. I remember coming over the the UK to visit my grandparents over the long summer holidays (I was born and raised as an expat in Asia) and being intrigued by their beautiful, creaky old grandfather clock which entombed a very special, handwritten copy of our family tree. I was already wonderstruck by this old looking piece of paper when I was still very little, too little to read or understand what it was all about, but clever enough to know it was special. Over the years my interest has continued to grow. I just knew it was a bit sacred. It was not until I had a moment of clarity in adult life that I became fully interested in genealogy; I realised I am not just me, I am half Mum and half Dad; a quarter Granddad, a quarter Grandma, a quarter Grandpère and a quarter Grandmère; and so on. When I really took the time to reflect on what the implications of this were, I knew I had to learn more. I think there are few accidents in how the human race has evolved to this day, I think we really are rather special beings; foibles, failures and flaws included; although we might not always see it and that we are a credit to all of those who came before us and gave us a chance to be. I feel that we owe it to these humans to remember them and cherish their memory.

So there you have it, a bit of insight into why I'm here. I do hope I'm not alone in having such strong feelings about this. I look forward to perusing the site, stealing tips and maybe even making connections. I would love to learn how one might be able to imagine a narrative to accompany the faceless names and dates scattered across my tree.

The following names are the most prominent that I am researching although I am sure the list will grow in time:
    Bradley
    Orange
    Donnelly/Donelly
    Marriott/Marriot
    Hucknall
    Brown
    Wookey

I have been much more able to trace my Grandma's lineage (up to my 11th Great-Grandfather William Wookey, born 1602) than my Granddad's, whose family tree and related information seem to completely stop in 1802 with the birth of my 4th Great-Grandfather, William Bradley.

I am really looking forward to using this website over time and hopefully expanding on my family's history alongside all of you.

Here we go!

Nicola

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Nicola
    We have some lovely members who just love solving mysteries so finding us is better late than never.

I envy you both the handwritten family tree and the clock!

If you need help with William Bradley just find a suitable forum, post what you know about William eg date and place of birth, parents, siblings, wife and any census you may have found him on then our sleuths can try to move you back a generation(s).
    Good luck
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs