Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile It can be a lonely business...

Hello! Happy to have found this. Ooh.. people! I've been checking out my husband's family tree - only started because we were travelling to Chesterfield and area and we knew his mum came from there. Thought I might find an address to stare at but instead I've found generations of Derbyshire miner families (Morris, Killamarsh) and become completely obsessed - even husband's less interested than me, I think. Just need to translate all this scribbled notes into a legible format, then back for more research.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Have a wander round, look at our assorted forums and then tell us about a bit of your research. There are posts of general help the top of the forums they relate to (marked as sticky to keep them at the top), and others even more general at the top of the “finding your way” forum.

As to the title of your message, our members are friendly and helpful - of course nobody is online all the time, so be patient after you ask a question. Answers can come in rapidly, or after weeks or even months.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Issythom View Post
    Hello! Happy to have found this. Ooh.. people! I've been checking out my husband's family tree - only started because we were travelling to Chesterfield and area and we knew his mum came from there. Thought I might find an address to stare at but instead I've found generations of Derbyshire miner families (Morris, Killamarsh) and become completely obsessed - even husband's less interested than me, I think. Just need to translate all this scribbled notes into a legible format, then back for more research.
    Make sure you also note where you found that information so that if you need to find it again then you can easily do so. In the initial rush of 'ooh, look what I've found'it is extremely easy to overlook a vital detail, or dismiss something as 'not necessary to record', only to find later that you should have made a note of it.
    I actually find it time-effective to transcribe virtually every detail and enter everything into my notes first time round. So a baptism entry will be St James, Anytown, 1 Jan 1818, Joe Bloggs, son of Fred and Ginger, abode High Street Anytown, father's occupation baker. Page number 37, entry number 293. Source: FMP, Lincolnshire parish registers browse, Anytown, baptisms 1813-1900, image number 10.

(FMP = Findmypast)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”