Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Can anyone read this??

Unfortunately I can't work out how to attach a record on here, but I wondered if anyone could take a look at the following record;
    It's a marriage that took place on 7 Oct 1879 at St John's, Limehouse Fields in Tower Hamlets between Matthew Fitzgerald and Harriett Harding.
    The writing on the record is dreadful... is anyone able to make out the bride's father's name and occupation and the names of the two witnesses??
    If anyone is able to attach an image on here that would be a huge help!
    Thank you in advance!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I am unable to access the image but the writing must be bad as the one record I can find gives the year of marriage as 1877 not 1879

Emeltee

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    I am unable to access the image but the writing must be bad as the one record I can find gives the year of marriage as 1877 not 1879

Emeltee
    Actually that's a good point that I completely forgot to mention! The marriage is transcribed as 1879 but looking at the record it looks more like 1877, I can't be sure. First child was born in 1878 so I imagine it's 1877.

First look I think says -Daniel Harding, carman.
    using FreeBMD the year is 1877 Harriet Harding to Matthew Fitz Gerald (how the surname is entered)
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The marriage was in 1877. See the marriage on the previous page where it's written clearly (same image, swipe to the right to access left-hand side of page).
    Also confirmed by GRO Index on FreeBMD and FMP, where Fitzgerald is split into Fitz and Gerald.

Thought Harriet's father might be Dennies (Dennis) Harding, carter, but am now inclined to agree with Christina.

Complete pass on the witnesses.

Don't worry about attaching images for those which are on Ancestry or FMP. If you just tell us where to find them (in this instance we would guess from the church that it was on Ancestry) we can find the entry ourselves, as we nearly all have subs to either/both sites.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thanks everyone,
    I thought it might have said Daniel.. am yet to find a birth record for Harriett with Daniel as her father, I was hoping the witnesses might give me some clues.. never mind!

Famous for offering help & advice

on the 1881 census (if I've got the right one) Harriet's birthplace is given as Shoreditch about 1859 so I guess there might be other ways to try to work out who her father was ??

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    on the 1881 census (if I've got the right one) Harriet's birthplace is given as Shoreditch about 1859 so I guess there might be other ways to try to work out who her father was ??
    I've spent ages trying to find this person and no luck. Closest I could find was a Harriett Truesharding baptised around that time and place, father was Dennis, so could be them but struggling to find further records.

Just a quick reply as going out now.

Can anyone else see FERGUSON for the first witness surname?
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Just a quick reply as going out now.

Can anyone else see FERGUSON for the first witness surname?
    Could be!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast