Starting to feel at home

Default Finding evidence..

Hi all,
    I have got back to my 5 x great grandfather, Richard Collingbourne who was born in 1738 in Shurdington, Gloucestershire (I think).
    Now according to several other trees on anc his father was a Pitman Collingbourne b1715. I cannot find any evidence to back this up though. Pitman has 5 other children and I have managed to find birth baptism records for 4 of them which name Pitman and Ann as parents. I cannot find any baptism records or birth records for Richard though?
    I don't just want to assume that Pitman is Richard's father without anything to back it up but not sure where else to look?
    Advice welcomed!
    Thank you!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Where would Richard fit in the family, if first or last they may have moved into or out of the parish? Have you found Pitman and Ann's marriage entry?
    I first have you tried looking for him under Ann's maiden name?

Did Pitman Collingbourne leave a will?

Just a few of many questions I would be trying to answer.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Where would Richard fit in the family, if first or last they may have moved into or out of the parish? Have you found Pitman and Ann's marriage entry?
    I first have you tried looking for him under Ann's maiden name?

Did Pitman Collingbourne leave a will?

Just a few of many questions I would be trying to answer.
    Cheers
    Guy
    I found a marriage record for a Pitman Collingbourne and Ann Hill for 1740 in Woodchester, which is two years after Richard's birth year.
    I did find a Richard Hill born in 1738 in Woodchester but it lists William Hill as his father. I wondered if Ann Hill had been married before but can find no record of this.. plus Hill I think is her maiden name as I found her baptism record for 1713 and it lists her father as a Joseph Hill.

Could Ann be his second wife?
    Back then, widowers left with small children often remarried fairly rapidly.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Could Ann be his second wife?
    Back then, widowers left with small children often remarried fairly rapidly.
    That's very possible, but I can't find evidence of another marriage at the moment. I will keep looking.

Growing old Disgracefully

Pitman Collingbourn Married Ann Hill 18 Sept 1740 Woodchester Gloucestershire

Taken from Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813

Growing old Disgracefully

Looking at other trees on Ancestry that have acctual Records from Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813.

Richard Collingbourn was born before Pitman Married Ann Hill, also he was born in a different place to all the other children Pitman & Ann had. They where all Baptised at Woodchester, Gloucestershire.

Taken from Family Search
    Pitman & Ann only Baptised 4 children

Sarah 25 Dec 1743
    Joseph 26 Jan 1745
    Pitman 2 Aug 1748
    Ann 26 July 1751

Son Pitman married Mary Neate
    17 Apr 1774
    Bitton, Gloucester, England

Starting to feel at home

So possibly not his father at all then! Or from another marriage? Hmm I need to dig some more then. Don't want to be barking up completely the wrong tree.