Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Matilda Burnett 1832/33

I am developing quite a headache trying to work out the life of my 4th gt grandmother, Matilda Burnett. I know from census records that she was born 1832/33 in Rotherhithe/Deptford area. Her son Charles James Burnett was born 1857 in Ratcliff, Stepney. There is no birth record for him. The only reason I know when he was born is from census records and his baptism record from 1864 in Shadwell. This is the first record I can find of Matilda. The father is recorded as Charles James Burnett, a labourer so this tells me that Burnett is probably her married name, but I have found no sign of a marriage record.
    She was admitted to Stepney Workhouse in 1867 for a month due to pregnancy and I think she had her first child Charles James with her. She is recorded as being the wife (not widow) of Charles James Burnett, labourer. Her second child, John Burnett, was born in Stepney Workhouse in June 1867, but was recorded as illegitimate. There is no official birth record of John.
    In 1871 census she is a widow living with her son Charles James Burnett - no sign of John. Sometime in 1871/72 she had a third son, Edward Burnett, who I assume was also illegitimate. Again, no official birth record or baptism that I can find.
    In 1878, her oldest son, Charles James Burnett, married Mary Ann Cunningham. In the marriage banns record his father is Charles Burnett, deceased.
    In 1881 census, Matilda is a widow living with her sons, John and Edward.
    I think she died in 1890. I have her death certificate but I still can't be sure it's her as some of the details aren't quite right. The address she was living at was a couple of doors down from where she was in the 1881 census and the witness was her daughter-in-law Emma Burnett - her son Edward married Emma Bowkett but not until 1897 so that seems odd. Also on the certificate, Matilda was recorded as the widow of John Burnett. On Edward's marriage banns record his father is John Burnett, deceased.
    So the questions I have are: what was Matilda's maiden name? Why were none of her children's births recorded? Why is there no record of her marrying Charles James Burnett or was it John Burnett that she married? When did she become a widow?
    I have looked into the possibility that her eldest may have been born under a different name. The most likely candidate I could find was Charles James Brown b1857 Sept Quarter in Stepney, illegitimate. I haven't been able to prove a link as yet.
    I've just realised how long this post is! Well done to anyone who has managed to read this all the way to the end!

Knowledgeable and helpful

In 1861 they are recorded as Bartlett - RG9/285/1/4:

21 Schoolhouse Lane, Stepney
    Matilda Bartlett widow 30 born Middlesex
    Charles Bartlett aged 4 born Middlesex
    Allice Brown mother in Law 78 born Lancashire

1851 - HO107/1554/516/49

Tile Yard, Saint Anne, Stepney
    Alice Brown 64 widow Parish Relief born Lancashire (Gorton?)
    Matilda Brown 20 daughter unmarried born St Anne, Middx

1841 Ropemakers Fields, St Anne Limehouse, Stepney
    Alice Brown 50 Greengrocer
    Charles Brown 15 Ap Painter
    Matilda Brown 9
    All shown as not born in county

It looks like Charles James was named after her brother:

Baptism 10 Aug 1831 (born 21 July) St Paul, Deptford
    Matilda d/o James & Alice Brown of Broomfield Place, Mariner

Baptism 25 Dec 1828 (born 28 Oct 1825) St Paul, Deptford
    Charles James s/o James & Alice Brown of Lower Road, Mariner

A few other 'bits'

Ann Brown was admitted to Raine Street Workhouse on 28 Mar 1844, a widow aged 57 belonging to Limehouse. Admitted due to sickness & discharged at own request 6 April.

Charles James Brown married Mary Ann Tugwood 25 Jan 1847 at Stepney. I was hoping Matilda would be a witness, but no such luck!

There is a burial at St Ann Limehouse on 30 March 1851 of Charles James Brown of Duke Shore Alley, aged 25, and at No 3 Duke Shore Alley in the 1851 census is a Mary A Brown widow aged 22

I see you have this but for anyone looking.
    Birth registration on the GRO index.
    Charles James Brown Sept 1/4 1857 reg district Stepney vol 1c page 441. No mother's maiden name given which usually indicates illegitimacy
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Birth reg GRO index
    BURNETT, JOHN -
    1867 Sept 1/4 Quarter registration district Poplar Union vol 1c page 616. No mother's maiden name.
    This one would fit because the entry for the workhouse has Matilda with the surname Barnett and John's birth as illegitimate so that is assuming that Matilda's unmarried surname is Burnett. The September 1/4 is also a good fit for registering a birth which occurred in June.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    1841 Ropemakers Fields, St Anne Limehouse, Stepney
    Alice Brown 50 Greengrocer
    Charles Brown 15 Ap Painter
    Matilda Brown 9
    All shown as not born in county
    FMP baptisms (transcriptions)

Residence - Deptford; parents - James and Alice Brown; father's occpn. - Not transcribed

Charles James Brown, bap 25 Dec 1828
    Matilda Brown, bap 10 Aug 1831
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FMP baptisms (transcriptions)

Residence - Deptford; parents - James and Alice Brown; father's occpn. - Not transcribed

Charles James Brown, bap 25 Dec 1828
    Matilda Brown, bap 10 Aug 1831
    Full transcription already at post #5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast