Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Thanks everyone. This is the same conclusion other people have come to on other forums. I shall try to dig a little deeper into Matilda Brown and see what else I can find. Still not sure if she was ever married to Charles James Burnett - without a marriage record it's hard to say.

Starting to feel at home

Birth certificate has confirmed that Charles James Burnett was born as Brown. Mother Matilda. Born 3 Dunstan Place, Ratcliffe, Stepney. Thanks to everyone who helped ��

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by swendeperle82 View Post
    Still not sure if she was ever married to Charles James Burnett - without a marriage record it's hard to say.
    I don't see a marriage either but a possible candidate is Charles Burnett who died Stepney in 1859, aged 30.

From the census he lived in Ratcliff and his father was named James, so naming a son Charles James would fit with both his family and also with Matilda's, as her (by then deceased) brother was named Charles James.

If you're feeling flush it might be worth a punt on the death certificate to see who the informant was.

Starting to feel at home

I think the death certificate will have to wait for another time, but certainly looks like the best candidate. Three things I am still struggling to understand:

1. Why wasn't Charles James junior's father on the birth certificate? Presumably because they were unmarried.

2. Why was he on his son's baptism record 7 years later when he had probably died 5 years previously?

3. Why was John Burnett the husband of Matilda on her death certificate and the father of her son Edward on his marriage banns record?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12