James Wynne, my distant great grandfather was born sometime in the early to mid 1700's, most likely in England. A letter written between two cousins in the early 1900's indicated that James was a "Captain" in the military and was sent to the Colony of Georgia before the American Revolution. Allegedly, his unit or mission was to "chase" the Indians out of Georgia. Having not "receiving a land grant" from the King, he returned to England and moved his family to Ireland. Some of his siblings (have no clue as to any names) returned to Wales and and were known by their Welsh surname of Gwynne. Other siblings went to Scotland. I have searched for years with no success as to having been able to confirm this story. Athough I can find a Thomas Wynne (or variant spelling) in America, I can not make a positive connection. I wonder if this story is even true? I have been only been able to trace the Irish line to a James Wynne, born ca 1790 in Ireland, died between 1850/1867. Married Margaret Conlon about 1820 in Riverstown, County Sligo. I descend from their son, Patrick Wynne, who came to America in 1848 during the Famine period.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Rich Nichols