Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Pam, thanks for your response. I am only assuming she has died between 1848 and 1851 because I can't locate her with any certainty on the 1851 or 1861 census records. Her only living son (my relation) immigrated to NZ in 1858 from Nottingham, I assume because both his parents have died. I have not looked in Kingswinford for a burial (you think she may have returned to her birth place?). I am not sure they had the money for that luxury in those days. Like you, I too can only assume that her son had moved on and someone else registered her death and did not know her age at the time of death. I want it to be her because of the Park St address, but need to confirm for certainty. Will check Kingswinford next, but might have to purchase the PDF death certificate (cheaper than the full one?) Lyn

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Wrote one reply, which I've now deleted because it cross-posted again.

Only really leaves one question - have you checked for Mary marrying again?
    If there's no likely re-marriage then you might have to get the PDF death certificate which is just under a third cheaper than the fancy certified copy.

When searching later censuses remember in that the 1841 census ages of people over the age of 15 were supposed to be rounded-down to the nearest 5. So someone with an age of 50 could be anywhere between 50 and 54. And even then I'd still allow a couple of years either way, because for starters it depends whether they'd had their birthday that year, and also because people aren't always accurate about how old they are. (I remember the time I said I was 23, when I'd had my 24th bithday a couple of months previously. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam, no I have not gone down the track of her remarrying and it is an option. I was just following up the lead on the death in 1849 (another rabbit hole maybe). there are plenty of those in this game aren't there? Lyn

Hi Pam

On the freeREG I have found a Mary Wallis who married James Weeks in 1857 at St Johns Church Dudley,(not far from Kingswinford?) but she is not the right age (10 years difference). There are many others of the same name but not the right age or county to be of any certainty. Mystery.

Hi Pam, just to finish the saga. I located Mary Wallis who remarried later in 1849 (same year her 1st husband died)to Charles Jefford who was a fellmonger in Mansfield. My relation came to NZ as a fellmonger so this confirms where he learnt the trade and who from. Also located my rellie had married before he came to NZ in 1853 to Ellen Parkin in Mansfield. Can't confirm who left who, but clearly someone not happy, and he is the one who shipped out to NZ so guess he has gone a runner. Charles Jefford died and Mary ended up back in Birmingham in the work house where she died of old age at 83 years. very sad ending to her life. Lyn

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Lyn,

Pleased you've managed to (partially) solve the Mary mystery.

Thanks for posting the information.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12