Default Thames lightermen apprenticeships

I wonder if there is someone out there who can explain an anomaly. Robert Jury,the son of Robert Jury, lightermen of Wapping,is listed on the apprentice bindings of the lightermen and watermen's company in 1808 as being bound apprentice to Charles Jury, presumably his brother. On ANC however there is the image of an apprentice certificate of the same boy to Henry Jury,a cooper in the same year. There are no images for lightermen as such in these records so I wonder if this is just a coincidence of names. Henry Jury is listed in the poll book for 1831 under "Cooper's" whereas he was a Thames pilot! And Francis Jury, definitely a lightermen,is listed under musicians.There must be an explanation out there somewhere.
    Last edited by Ed McKie; 17-07-2019 at 2:45 PM. Reason: Added information
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm afraid I don't have time to look into your family in any detail, but I can tell you that the company someone belonged to wasn't always reflected in the work they did. I've found a diamond cutter in the Farriers Company, and my wife has a cheesemonger in the Hatband Makers Company - and when that folded, he went into the Needle Makers Company.

FMP (transcriptions)

Thames Watermen & Lightermen 1688-2010
    Robert Jury, bound date - 11 Aug 1808, Master's First Name - Robert Hartley Jury
    Robert Jury, Place - Smithfield, Bound date - 11 Aug 1808, Free Date 31 Aug 1815, Master's name - Charles Jury

London Watermen, List of Free Watermen
    Robert Jury, age 33, Date - April 1827, Number on list 2508
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Re. the above

The source of the "Robert Jury/Robert Hartley Jury" record is "Reassignments 1688-1908"
    The source of the Robert Jury/Charles Jury" record is "Binding Records 1692-1949"
    Both are for the Year 1808.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Default Thames lightermen apprentices

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Re. the above

The source of the "Robert Jury/Robert Hartley Jury" record is "Reassignments 1688-1908"
    The source of the Robert Jury/Charles Jury" record is "Binding Records 1692-1949"
    Both are for the Year 1808.
    Thank you for those. I had not been aware of the reasignments although a long time ago I went through all the bindings on film at the LMA. Adds another little puzzle. Was he first apprenticed to his father and then to his brother or other way round? Probably never know.
    Regards. Ed
    www.jeaned.net

Thanks for the comment. I have tried several times over the years to understand London livery company memberships but have virtually given up hope.
    Regards. Ed
    www.jeaned.net