Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile descendants of Namouch and Robida Cohen

Hello,

I am searching for the descendants of Namouch and Robida Cohen.
    Namouch was born in Fès-Morocco the 18th november 1902, and married Robida around 1927.

Can someone help?

Thank you

André2

France

It is not easy tracing Jewish individuals In Morocco because of the lack of records. However, see JewishGen (free to register)website which has two burial records- 1 RUBIDA COHEN death 10 Nov 1967 Fez Morocco 2 ROUBIDA Ha Cohen death 9 Sept 1962

I can't see a record for Namouch but did he change his first name? There is a Yacouth Cohen died 6 Feb 1948 Fez Morocco with mother Menasse Cohen- are these any relations to Namouch?

Did Namouch and Robida remain in Morocco and if so, do one of the JewishGen death records match those of Robida. What was the last name of Robida?
    You will note that first names can be spelled differently so any searches would need to look at phonetic and other searches.

I take it that Namouch and Robida were Sephardic Jews- see JewishGen -Jewish Genealogy in Morocco.Jeff Malka-Sephardic Genealogy.

Let us know what other data you have on Namouch and Robida.

Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

I noted a message by Pierre Kerleveo on the dafina.net site 7 Juillet 2019 in French which referred to Namouch and Robida with.." demeurant 59 Boulevard de Marseille Casablanca 1950-1960" This address and date suggests they were in that area but you would need to look at the message and confirm that this information is correct if you can.
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

In fact, I am making this research for Pierre Kerlévéo.

The information I have are exactely the ones he posted in his research.

Thank you for your help.

André2

What can you add about the couple and in #2 of this thread is one of the JewishGen Robida relevant?
    Without some more data it is not going to be easy tracing them. Do you or Pierre know the last name of Robida? Are there siblings of Namouch/Robida? The more you can share the better chance of receiving help. I can't see the names on Ancestry but that depends on knowing Robida's last name and other data.

Phillip

There are large numbers of Ancestry.Co family trees with Cohen born Morocco with some dying in Morocco and others emigrating. As previously stated more data is needed to link Namouch and Robida to those families and I have currently seen no individual called Namouch or derivation on those trees with a Robida and derivations as a wife.
    That presupposes that the first name Namouch was used consistently and not Anglicised.
    The other question is whether or not the couple remained in Morocco or France rather than emigrating.

Phillip

For researchers who have Jewish ancestors from Morocco including COHEN. See The Georgette and Raphael Cohen Collection of family trees from Meknes, Morocco. This data with 22000 names is searchable online at esafarad.com

This is an important data base for those researchers with Sephardi Jewish ancestors because it includes first and last names of individuals and related lines who settled in Morocco through forced expulsion such as Spain or for other reasons.In addition, when Morocco became independent in 1956 many Jews left the country and settled across the world.

The Sephardic.gen website also contains very important references to numbers of data bases and is a key source for those researchers who have Sephardi ancestors.
    I was unaware of the Meknes,Morocco data base so moderators may wish to make this post a 'sticky'

Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Unfortunatly, those are the only information we have.

I will let you know if something new commes up.

Thank you for your help.

André2

I am wondering if the name Namouch is a last name for example there are Cohen-Nahmouch last names but Namouch as a first name appears in no online records such as Familysearch,JewishGen, World Connect.
    Should you be looking for the Cohen-Nahmouch line? There is also the Namiech last name but my thinking is the Cohen-Nahmouch combination maybe worth researching.
    Does the name Namouch or Nahmouch have a meaning? Is it Moroccan?

What are your thoughts?
    Phillip

I have just read that Nahmouch is a Jewish given name from the diminutive Nahman.However, does this mean that there was a another first name for example preceding Cohen -Nahmouch as part of the Sephardic naming tradition?
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast