Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hunterterri58

Default understanding a connection

HI
    My 4th great grandparents John and Jemima Blackburn named a son, my 3rd gt grandfather, Thomas Julias Pampe Blackburn in 1824 in London and his son, Charles, my gt gt grandfather, named one of his sons, Thomas Julias Pampe Blackburn, presumably after his father.

I am intrigued by the Julias Pampe. Where is this connection to this name? With this in mind I have been looking at Pampe in London. I can find a Julias Peter Pampe who had Julias Thomas Pampe in 1777 in Lambeth and he married Sarah Ann Medes and it would seem that later on at a couple of their childrens marriages he is Thomas Julias Pampe.

None of their children married a Clayton (Jemima's maiden name) There is a branch of Pampe in NOrfolk and Cambridgeshire and their is Pamp and Pomp which may be the same, but I cannot see a link.

It may be that these people were good family friends I suppose, but I wondered what your thoughts might be and if you have any ideas as to how I might find the link if there is one.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Teresa

Brick wall demolition expert!

As you say it is intriguing because as you say there are records for Julius Thomas Pampe, his children and his father Juilius Peter, but virtually nothing in respect of Thomas Julius Pampe.

His daughter Ann, married Francis Sharvill in 1844, and her marriage certificate describes TJP as an engineer, so whether that throws any light on the connection I don't know.

Whatever the connection was it was obviously a strong connection for the name to have passed through two generations. Are you able to research the life and times of John and Jemima? For instance where they religious, or was John in the army / militia etc?

I can find a Julias Peter Pampe who had Julias Thomas Pampe in 1777 in Lambeth
    Courtesy of Ancestry's "London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1597-1921"

Julius Peter Pampe, 21 Jun 1774, Lambeth, St Mary
    Mary Ann Daffron, Lambeth, St Mary
    Julius was a widower and Mary a widow.
    Alma

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    As you say it is intriguing because as you say there are records for Julius Thomas Pampe, his children and his father Juilius Peter, but virtually nothing in respect of Thomas Julius Pampe.

His daughter Ann, married Francis Sharvill in 1844, and her marriage certificate describes TJP as an engineer, so whether that throws any light on the connection I don't know.

Whatever the connection was it was obviously a strong connection for the name to have passed through two generations. Are you able to research the life and times of John and Jemima? For instance where they religious, or was John in the army / militia etc?
    Not a lot is known about John and Jemima. The dates make it difficult. They were married in 1802 but I cannot find any children before 1815. I cannot trace Jemima's birth either. I know they married in Camberwell and lived in that area and the southwark area. John was born in Barking in Essex in 1781 but there my line ends. I just have not been able to trace any further on these two. John was a Whitesmith.

hunterterri58

Thank you. I noticed they were both widowed too. But I cannot find a previous marriage for either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterterri58 View Post
    Not a lot is known about John and Jemima. The dates make it difficult. They were married in 1802 but I cannot find any children before 1815. I cannot trace Jemima's birth either. I know they married in Camberwell and lived in that area and the southwark area. John was born in Barking in Essex in 1781 but there my line ends. I just have not been able to trace any further on these two. John was a Whitesmith.
    St Mary, Newington. Parents John and Jemima. Taken from the index I've not looked at the original parish entry.

James Blackburn 10 Nov 1811; Mary Ann 22 Oct 1809;

A possible burial.

Mary Ann Blackburn age 12, 3 Jun 1821, Union Street, Independent London

Of Christchurch.Surrey
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

A possible burial.

Mary Ann Blackburn age 12, 3 Jun 1821, Union Street, Independent London

Of Christchurch.Surrey
    This is interesting, as the LMA has this record:
    Certificate for Registration of an Independent Meeting House: St Olave, Southwark

For meeting house in the possession of Mr John Matlock, pastor, in Unicorn Yard near the Vine Yard, Tooley Street in the parish of Saint Olave, Southwark. Signed by John Matlock, pastor; Rich[ar]d Porter; Julius Pampe; James Porter; Edward Boreman; Thomas Law; and Charles Edwards

I dont really understand the context, but its to do with Cause Papers & the Diocese of Winchester, Commissary Court of Surrey

Thank you Jomot, the name Julius Pampe on the certificate is interesting and does suggest the Pampes' and Blackburns' knew each other and could be related.
    Alma

Don't be too disappointed if it ends up not jelling.

The name Heywood as a second forename was passed down several generations of one branch of my family, as the parents in each case thought they were passing on a family name. When we took up genealogical research, however, we found it had been introduced only in the 1880s because a Mr Heywood had been the original namer's best buddy in the army.That is an anecdote in itself!

Knowledgeable and helpful

It looks to me as if your Blackburn family might have been non-conformists, for at least a period, hence the shortage of baptisms in C of E records. Pampas was probably an important figure in the Independent chapel they attended. These had to be licenced so you get the reference you found for the meeting house in St Olave's parish. It's worth looking into non-conformist records for the period, for that chapel especially. pwholt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast