Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    It looks to me as if your Blackburn family might have been non-conformists, for at least a period, hence the shortage of baptisms in C of E records. Pampas was probably an important figure in the Independent chapel they attended. These had to be licenced so you get the reference you found for the meeting house in St Olave's parish. It's worth looking into non-conformist records for the period, for that chapel especially. pwholt

This is a very good point which I should have thought of before. One of my 6 x gt uncles was a man called John Gambold (1711 - 1771) who was the first British bishop of the Moravian church and his surname, which is an uncommon one, pops up as a middle name for many unrelated individuals, and I can only assume that must have been through them being inspired by his work with the church.

Famous for offering help & advice

I should have mentioned that the LMA record I referenced was 27 Sep 1760

Searching Google for "John Matlock" Pastor, bought up references to him being pastor of an Independent Meeting House in New York around 1785.

The link below then mentions Particular Baptists in the and a John Matlock D.D. From Daventry, who went to America, where he died in 1787, aged 57. His tombstone is in the Presbyterian churchyard in New York & confirms his connection to England.

A non-conformist connection does seem likely, and if it was Baptist then records are few & far between - perhaps some congregational records if youre lucky, with baptisms restricted to adults.

https://www.stgitehistory.org.uk/media/dissenters1.html

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A non-conformist connection does seem likely, and if it was Baptist then records are few & far between - perhaps some congregational records if youre lucky, with baptisms restricted to adults.

If they were Baptists, then the only baptisms that will be found will be for adults, as they believe in only baptizing those whose can assert their beliefs, which of course infants can't. When they are baptised it's by total immersion.

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    St Mary, Newington. Parents John and Jemima. Taken from the index I've not looked at the original parish entry.

James Blackburn 10 Nov 1811; Mary Ann 22 Oct 1809;

A possible burial.

Mary Ann Blackburn age 12, 3 Jun 1821, Union Street, Independent London

Of Christchurch.Surrey
    Wow! Thank you. I have had such trouble getting much about this family.

hunterterri58

oh my goodness! This is an amazing discovery. Thank you.

hunterterri58

I should have mentioned that the LMA record I referenced was 27 Sep 1760

Searching Google for "John Matlock" Pastor, bought up references to him being pastor of an Independent Meeting House in New York around 1785.

The link below then mentions Particular Baptists in the and a John Matlock D.D. From Daventry, who went to America, where he died in 1787, aged 57. His tombstone is in the Presbyterian churchyard in New York & confirms his connection to England.

https://www.stgitehistory.org.uk/media/dissenters1.html
    John Blackburn was christened in Barking so can we assume that his family were not non conformists? I can find nothing at all on Jemima Clayton, his wife. They were married in St Giles Camberwell in 1802 but I cannot trace her line at ll so maybe she was the non conformist?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quite possibly.

Interestingly there is a baptism on 31 Mar 1816 at Finchingfield Independent Chapel, Essex, of a Jemima Clayton d/o Samuel & Martha, and the baptism was performed by someone called John Blackburn

hunterterri58

Quite possibly.

Interestingly there is a baptism on 31 Mar 1816 at Finchingfield Independent Chapel, Essex, of a Jemima Clayton d/o Samuel & Martha, and the baptism was performed by someone called John Blackburn
    oh my goodness this is so exciting!!!!! The non conformists often baptised as adults so this could indeed be them!!!! Thank you so much.

hunterterri58

Quite possibly.

Can I view this record at all?

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by hunterterri58 View Post
    oh my goodness this is so exciting!!!!! The non conformists often baptised as adults so this could indeed be them!!!! Thank you so much.
    I have found this and then it does say that she was born in 1816 too! She is 60 in 1841 so I am not so sure now. although the Blackburn connection is so interesting there! It also looks like she may have stayed in Essex??
    I am not so good at this as all of you so I would love to hear your thoughts

Teresa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast