Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sorry, I don't think this will be a relative of husband.

Could be but as so many James Heard and his birthplace not existing I think I will have to try and find GRO number for his marriage.He was born 7th Jan 1835 but that could be wrong also. Thank you for your help.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by annheard View Post
    I have seen this one and think it quite possible as Sophia is matron of some sort of school. I wonder if this might be like a workhouse as there doesn't seem to be a school mentioned in the near census entries.
    Yes there are some extended family in Australia.Thank you for replying.
    No Child call Sophia born to James and Mary Ann
    Their children are as follows

William 1862
    James H 1863
    H/Ester 1868
    Joseph 1869
    Richard 1871
    George 1872
    Elizabeth Hannah 1873
    Martha Ellen 1874
    John 1875
    Thomas 1877
    Samuel 1878
    Edward Stephens 1879
    Mary Ann 1880
    Alberta 1882
    Sidney 1884
    Philippa 1885

Mothers Maiden Name Buzzo/Buzza/Buzzer

No not yet. I have a feeling that the reason I can't find him is because his details are incorrect,for example, I am told there was no such place as Coalrick.

Thank you Sandyhall. Iwas thinking of Sophia as his mother,on 1841 census she was 30 and he was 5. But have had no certain results on either Sophia,James or Walter(younger child)

Hello,
    Now have a copy of the marriage certificate for James and May Ann Buzza 12 July 1862,residence for both Calstock and James a copper miner. It gives James as a widower(this was news)and his father William a farm labourer. Have not found the first marriage or that for William and Mary.

Brick wall demolition expert!

In terms of the first marriage for James I think that there are probably about 4 possibilities in the West Country all around 1851/1852. However, you may not know that you can ask the General Register Office to do a search for you. The way that you do that is as follows:

On the first page of the order form, you select the boxes which say that you DO NOT KNOW the GRO references, but you have to choose a year - in this instance if it were me, I would pick 1852, and the GRO will search 1851-1853.

On the second page you fill in James Heard and his father's name,William and 01/01/1852 and NOTHING ELSE.

If they can't find a certificate that matches then you get a refund.

As a bit of extra information: Tavistock registration district included Calstock between 1860-1936, prior to that it was in the Liskeard registration district.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    In terms of the first marriage for James I think that there are probably about 4 possibilities in the West Country all around 1851/1852. However, you may not know that you can ask the General Register Office to do a search for you. The way that you do that is as follows:

On the first page of the order form, you select the boxes which say that you DO NOT KNOW the GRO references, but you have to choose a year - in this instance if it were me, I would pick 1852, and the GRO will search 1851-1853.

On the second page you fill in James Heard and his father's name,William and 01/01/1852 and NOTHING ELSE.

If they can't find a certificate that matches then you get a refund.

As a bit of extra information: Tavistock registration district included Calstock between 1860-1936, prior to that it was in the Liskeard registration district.
    Things have changed slightly at the GRO since February when the cost of certificates increased.
    Would seem that in addition to the cost of the certificate there is a £3 search fee, and if no certificate is found then the GRO keep £3.50. (So you'd only get £10.50 refunded.)
    'What records can be ordered and how much does it cost' -
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...nt_to_know.asp

See if you can find those marriages on other websites first to possibly eliminate one or two of them. e.g. Cornwall OPC, Devon marriages on FMP, FamilySearch, FreeREG. Also consider alternative spellings of Heard - Herd, Heerd, Herde, Hurd, etc, as well as allowing for mistranscriptions, e.g. Hoard, Hord, Horde.

Also check the GRO Historical births index for any children from those marriages. Search for them in the 1861 census.

Is James' age given on the 1862 marriage certificate, and if so, does it agree +/- a couple of years either side with his age in the census?
    If he was born circa 1835 then be would have only have been about 16 in 1851/1852, so quite young to get married.

Another drawback to the GRO doing a search is that they search until they find a record that matches. Then they say 'that's the one that's wanted' and send that without checking for any others which may match.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you,I will follow up on that.

Thank you for your reply. His age on marriage certificate was 25yr,which puts him at born c1836/7, indeed young to be getting married in 1851,but he was proved to be a very virile young man!!!! There is a death for a Susan Heard in Calstock 1960 aged 20y,a possible first wife.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast