Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Margaret Bates

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is it possible that Margaret was removed to Guernsey under the Poor Law Settlement rules, whilst her children were effectively removed from her as the right of settlement where they were born?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Is it possible that Margaret was removed to Guernsey under the Poor Law Settlement rules, whilst her children were effectively removed from her as the right of settlement where they were born?
    I did look through those but couldn't see one for Margaret - at least not from Hampstead

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

In the Creed Register there is a reference to St. Lawrence Home Heartice(guessing at spelling) Exeter.
    From what I can find it was also a Childrens Home, and I believe in the girls record Jessie may have spent time in Exeter. Is anyone aware of this home?
    k you
    Your time and research is gratefully appreciated as it helps unravel the puzzle. I can't thank you enough.

I see from the 1910-1914 Creed Register (image 19) Jessie came back to Hampstead in 1911, and her address was given as St Lawrence's Home, Exeter

If you go to the website Hidden Lives Revealed and select Homes then search Exeter, some information will come up (it was previously known as St Olave's).

A selection of case files are also on the site, although only one from this home and it isn't Jessie, but the Children's Society may well have a file on her from her time there.

Edited to add that the email address is archives[at]childrenssociety.org.uk (removed @ as live links not allowed, which I assume includes email addresses)

Brick wall demolition expert!

Peter Higginbotham who runs workhouse site has started one for children's homes. I don't think that it's as comprehensive but it might give you some pointers.

https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have found the marriage for Thomas and Margaret. They married on may 19th 1896.
    The record is from the St. Martin's Parish Marriage Register ref 7/13
    Thomas is the son of Henry Bates and Margaret Ann is the daughter of Moses Robert.

You may already know this, but Barnardo's 'Ups & Downs' magazine for July 1916, Issue 3 Volume 19 page 54 under 'Our Girls' includes Bertha & Lucy Bates.

In the same issue, page 60, under 'Girls Donations Fund' there is a mention of Lucy A Bates

I haven't found a copy online unfortunately, but this information is from an index

Hi Jomot1
    You can do a link if there is no advertising on the site you are linking to.
    I found this site also https://canadianbritishhomechildren....-magazine.html
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12