Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Ellen Matthews/Williams b abt 1868.

I'm stuck!
    Ellen was the 3rd wife of my great great Grandfather. She appears on the 1911 census living with him and 4 children. Julia, Lizzie and William are obviously from her previous marriage and Bert who is her and Alfred's child (I assume).
    I found a marriage record between her and Alfred Collingbourne from 1908.both are down as widowed. She's Ellen Williams but her father is Thomas Matthews so I know Matthews is her maiden name.
    I'm struggling to find records for her and her children before that though.
    I can't find a birth record for her daughter Julia b1891. I found a birth and baptism record for Lizzie her second daughter, Elizabeth Ellen Williams b1899.on the baptism record it has William as father and address is 16 Eastward Street, Poplar.
    I then found a marriage record for Ellen Matthews and William James isaac Williams in 1898 (which is after the birth of her oldest daughter but I thought maybe she has been married more then twice). Address was also 16 eastward.
    Can't find a matching family in 1901. I did find an Ellen and a William living at 16 Eastward in 1901 but surnames were Ewing not williams? Very confused and got myself completely lost.. Could do with a fresh set of brains and eyes to look at this!

This is Bert's birth registration on the GRO index

Herbert Collingbourne March 1/4 1909 registration district Poplar vol 1c page 573. Mother's maiden name Matthews.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This is Bert's birth registration on the GRO index

Herbert Collingbourne March 1/4 1909 registration district Poplar vol 1c page 573. Mother's maiden name Matthews.
    Thank you, I found this, this must be the Bertie that appears on the 1911 census.
    I'm just trying to trace Ellen back before 1911. I know she married my great great grandad in 1908 and had three children from her previous marriage.. Which I think was to a William Williams in 1898 but not sure if this is the correct one? And where she was before that?

I did find an Ellen and a William living at 16 Eastward in 1901 but surnames were Ewing not williams?
    They have a daughter Lucy age 7yrs,

EWING, LUCY, Mother's maiden name WILLIAMS
    GRO Reference: 1893 J Quarter in POPLAR Volume 01C Page 626

There's a marriage Sept qrt 1885, Bethal Green Ellen Williams/William Ewing.

Perhaps Ellen Williams is the sister of William James Isaac Williams
    Alma

1891, Limehouse.
    RG12; Piece: 298; Folio: 33; Page: 58
    William Ewing 33, docks labourer, Poplar
    Ellen Ewing 28, Limehouse
    William Williams 21, brother in law, dock labourer Limehouse
    William Ewing 4, son, Poplar
    Ellen Ewing 10/12, dau, Poplar
    Ellen Mathews 40, single, charwoman, boarder, Poplar

The witnesses at the marriage between Ellen Matthews and William James Isaac Williams were Ellen Ewing and ? Ewing.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    1891, Limehouse.
    RG12; Piece: 298; Folio: 33; Page: 58
    William Ewing 33, docks labourer, Poplar
    Ellen Ewing 28, Limehouse
    William Williams 21, brother in law, dock labourer Limehouse
    William Ewing 4, son, Poplar
    Ellen Ewing 10/12, dau, Poplar
    Ellen Mathews 40, single, charwoman, boarder, Poplar

The witnesses at the marriage between Ellen Matthews and William James Isaac Williams were Ellen Ewing and ? Ewing.
    Aah well spotted! I'm sure Ellen has her age down as 40 when she marries Alfred in 1908.. But maybe she lied about her age? God I don't know which is my Ellen now haha!

Starting to feel at home

Ok so the conclusion I have drawn is that William Isaac was living with his sister Ellen, who was married to William Ewing.. Ellen Matthews was lodging with them and she and William ended up getting married?
    Only thing is she's 40 on the 1891 census but puts her age as 30 on her marriage record in 1898? Either there is another Ellen or she fibbed about her age..which I know happened.. William would have been a lot younger so she may have done?

Ellen and William James Isaac's marriage certificate has her father as Thomas Matthews a mariner.

RG10; Piece: 549; Folio: 98; Page: 19;
    Thomas Mathews 50, mariner, Greenwich
    Ellen Mathews 45, East Smithfield
    Ellen Mathews 3, St George in the East,

Ellen's marriage to Alfred William Collingbourne liste her father as Thomas a carpenter (deceased)
    Alma

Marriage: June 10th, 1912, St John Limehouse Fields
    Julia Mary Williams 21, father Alfred Collingbourne, husband Denis James Day 28.
    Alma

According to the information entered on 1939 register Julia M Day was born 3rd Oct 1892.

The marriage certificate is unclear regarding Julia's middle name, the registrar has entered Julia Mary, Julia has signed Julia May
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast